Space award

#rafac as usual

Just been back and had a look at past email. Seen one for ā€œLEAD SPACE INSTRUCTORSā€™ COURSEā€. This was in Aug 2022ā€¦ And 2 places per region. Iā€™ve forwarded it to you for reference.

But thatā€™s all Iā€™ve seen. Canā€™t find anything about a train the trainer.

Seen, but as you say, that was in 2022 and related to the old syllabus.
(Iā€™ve also no idea how to find out who my ā€œRegion Lead Space Instructorsā€ are other than asking around)

And that counts as ā€˜throughout the RAFACā€™ :wink:

Whatā€™s in the Space award syllabus?

All we know is whatā€™s been published to the public website
https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/what-we-do/space-studies/

Edit, actually some more info on the Pearson website

qualifications.pearson.com

2 Likes

Interesting so what happens for example scotland cadets can they apply to do this bare in mind we dont have b-techs on scotland ,its known as SQA here. Also i take it this is seperate to doing the blue/bronze and silver space course?

The way I read the website, the Blue Bronze and Silver ā€œUnitsā€ are separate but required to be completed to undertake the BTEC.

On completion of the syllabus, you will be invited to join the formal BTEC program, during which you will be required to complete a portfolio of questions.

And as for the question about SQA, not a clue, we have no other information than that website.

More information about the BTEC can be found here.
qualifications.pearson.com

Iā€™m not sure that is the correct syllabus for the BTEC any more - the units are based on the old Blue/Bronze & Silver (that was never released). The new subjects are detailed here: Pearsons Level 2 Certificate in Space Studies | Royal Air Force Air Cadets (mod.uk)

1 Like

I previously mentioned my train the trainer course and how I had heard rumours the new one for the BTEC would be different. Unfortunately it looks like thatā€™s confirmed here. The Blue award is entirely different from what I have been teaching in Blue Space so far.

The First two portions of Bronze space Iā€™ve been teaching in Blue. The moon part of Blue is within Bronze currently. The rest of Bronze is new to me so I donā€™t think any other parts are applicable to the old course. So anyone who did have a train the trainer previously isnā€™t going to be qualified for the new one, and cadets are probably going to have to redo it too.

Not the best look for a new BTEC coming out.

I have gained the following information from a number of sources:

Existing Blue & Bronze remain valid and the cadets can get the badges - these cadets can go direct to the new Silver. However, if a cadet wants to do the new BTEC, they will need to complete the new Blue & Bronze syllabus - But considering that there are only 500 BTEC places across RAFAC in the first year - not that many will need to do these on the bigger scale of things (average of 1-ish BTEC places for every 2 Sqnā€™s)

No idea on the Train-the-Trainer course. I have also done this course - I suppose it depends on your Wing/Region Space Team how they will manage this.

1 Like

See, thatā€™d be useful information to have officially put out there. . .