Source of black hessian cloth for air rifle range

As the Corp Shooting Officers post is now vacant where can obtain the black hessian cloth required please ?

Eh? TG5?? TG6???

Look on Fleabay?

Hessian is hessian. Go shopping!

If some of the stories I’ve been told about the chap from HQAC who passes AR ranges, I doubt it.
It seems he takes pedantry to a whole new level.
So too thick, too thin, wrong colour black and you might have to start again.

I’m sure someone can tell you the correct specs. I can’t as we don’t use it.

i could rant until lunchtime on this one.

in short there is an NSN number for it but i wish you well trying to find it to then use it for ordering.

we have all the green lights for air rifles shooting on Squadron. the ok from the man (TG6) for our Squadorn to have a range, money set aside by the CWC to purchase the items the one stopping block was the black hessian which could only be the MOD approved cloth.

we tried all many of sources to find out where and how to get it, the same answer came back “there is an NS which you can use to order via your parent station” but no one knew the NSN!

in the end we had a friendly Servicer Helper working in stores who found the right cloth to hand around the Wing for the various Squadrons…only for it to go missing “somewhere” before it reached us!

Why the hell does it have to be black?

The Army doesn’t appear to think so - they supplied us with a roll of brown…

Surely it’s pointless worrying over it at the moment anyway, you can’t use air rifles!

you can if you have the version with the safety catch in the right place…

[quote=“tmmorris” post=22402]Why the hell does it have to be black?

The Army doesn’t appear to think so - they supplied us with a roll of brown…[/quote]

That is because the material is not mandated, and the colour definitely isn’t. Hessian is the standard material but it doesn’t have to be hessian. We actually use old blankets rather than hessian as it does the job. See here:

Ours come direct from TG5/6 (Which ever it is now). It did get closed down temporarily as the hessian was double thickness therefore not to specification! Eventually got it back online around 10 months later after making the hessian only 1 thickness and waiting around for email approval after sending photos 4 weeks after initial closure!

Thanks talon for the JSP403 extract, most useful. We’ve not yet set up our range (.22 indoor) for air rifle and it was very useful to read the bits about 50mm gap between hessian and linatex &c.

If my memory serves me correctly, 1mil = 1" at 100yds, so on a 25yd indoor range the 80 mil pellet stop = only 20" square of hessian behind the targets? In which case we can suspend that from higher up easily.

Surely if it’s double thickness it’s better. :?

I think that the concept is single thickness allows a pellet to go through, with pellet energy expended against the backing board & then stopping anything bouncing back.

A double thickness might cause bounce back rather than penetrating the 2 layers.