Social Media - Uniform Standards

Same as it has always been for NCOs…

I’m sorry, I have to challenge that. Simply encouraging attention to detail in one’s uniform, especially before going on parade, does not cause OCD or “serious mental health issues”. That’s not how mental health works.

8 Likes

Which CBN is that? The one I was sent was far less No 2 dress friendly.

The idea they are controlling people’s lives in an inappropriate and OTT manner.

We had a cadet who wanted to wear his grandad and G grandad’s medals, for all of his 3 years in the Corps he wore his school uniform with their medals, because he couldn’t wear them with cadet uniform. We had a happy cadet and parents.

Have to admit I have always wanted to be able to wear my Grandfather’s medals on Remembrance Sunday, I was a little miffed to say the least when told no way back when, but ok rules are rules.

However if I was in Civvies then I would, and couldn’t give two hoots as to whether someone in RAFAC didn’t like it. Obviously this has to be done correctly and respectfully, but to me at least, being able to do this is part of the act of remembrance as a whole.

My daughter wears my Great great uncles’ WW1 medals, and my son my Great grandpa’s WW1. Both great men that I have very vague recollections of them and if my kids want to continue their memory then I’m all for it

And RAFAC have NO entitlement to tell people what to wear on Civvies, does it ever dawn on people that the endless pedantic preaching of JSP etc may just put people off. At one time you were allowed family medals on the right chest but hey let’s not pride get in thexway of a rule book written by do gooders who probably never been near a war zone.

1 Like

Ah - apologies, I found the wrong one in my mailbox. That was 20/027. 21/023 which was this year’s one was as you say less friendly.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you… I was focused on the uniform side which is definitely within our gift to manage

If you did a little bit of research in to who the author of AP1358C is and their service background you’d probably like to reconsider that statement :expressionless:

3 Likes

Shall we take a breath for some perspective?..

Nobody in the RAFAC is telling anyone what medals they can or cannot wear with civies.

The book in question isn’t AP 1358C, it’s a JSP and is technically correct. Officially, there is no ‘entitlement’ to wear family medals. It is simply something which has been commonly accepted.

The quote in the JSP is from Queen’s Regulations… I fancy that her Majesty can make whichever rules she feels appropriate regarding her medals awarded to her service personnel.

9 Likes

Plus, it also states the rules apply to service personnel, not cadets or CFAV…

2 Likes

Oh god…not that old chestnut again!

So if a uniform member wants to show off their family medal so they should. Guess the person writing the rules doesn’t have any medals.

They should do so in civvies.

Uniform is yours and for your medals

4 Likes

What a ridiculous thing to say.

3 Likes

Most regs writers are normally very senior WOs or Officers who have a breadth of operational experience…or so in told.

Don’t worry was being flippant. Point is what harm does it do to show of familyvmedals