Social Media - Uniform Standards

We had 2 new(ish) officers and 1 WO on parade yesterday. Only the WO had No 1s, so decided to stay in No 2s so as to be dressed the same as the officers. It doesn’t take much for staff to make sensible calls.

Talking of sensible calls, if it’s bucketing it down and cadets haven’t got uniform foulweather jackets, I’d instantly be telling them to chuck on civvie jackets - and I wouldn’t be too concerned about showing that on SM. I’d rather be showing my cadets commemorating an important occasion and being looked after than either show them getting drenched with no foulweathers of any description - or not show them participating in what, for me, is the most important parade of the year.

1 Like

You know what, maybe this is the solution - let’s forget standards and let anyone wear what they like. :cry: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s a large difference between ‘maintaining standards’ and ‘obsessing over minutiae when you don’t know the back story’.

4 Likes

That being said not having foul weather jackets available isn’t the best of calls in the first place.

Honestly if someone uploaded a pic to SM with cadets in the rain not wearing jackets I’d have a real big problem with that!

We all know there’s supply issues at the moment. Any water proof is better than nothing.

4 Likes

Every year I have to have a little cry about how many photos I see with (Army) cadets wearing gauntlets. I just want it to stop.

Waves hands…

Sorry Alex… won’t happen again…

It does look especially iffy with MTP.

Prehaps contact the relevant squadron and help to educate and improve standards…

1 Like

I have a full time job! Seriously the above were just examples - lack of standards seem endemic and has doubtless been driven by lockdown, with limited time to recover to an acceptable standard. Educating individual squadrons is not the answer - the organisation needs to step up, and IC social media accounts need to vet content.

For those that are focussing on the civilian coat example - photo I saw was of cadets marching alongside ACF, CCF RN and vets, no other coats on display.

Yet time to tell all of us…

Who also have full time jobs!

:man_facepalming:

Hopefully some of those on here are responsible for the social media outputs and will think about it…. You’ve already said it’s not worth stressing about, so don’t let it trouble you :wink:

1 Like

Noted :wink:

Two options : publish and be damned or don’t bother.

The devil in me would if I did SM would put pictures out there just to wind people up. 99% of people from outside our microcosm looking at it wouldn’t give a monkey’s and these will be many of those sending the children out way.

1 Like

Joining in I saw a ACF Cadet not only wearing medals in MTP PCS but relatives medals at that!

1 Like

I do believe that ACF cadets and CFAV are permitted to wear medals in MTP (or at least we got orders to that effect when we had a CCF(A) section), although that probably only extends to their medals and not relative

1 Like

But…

How many cadets have personal medals to wear?

How many ACF CFAVs choose to wear MTP PCS on parade who have been around long enough to be awarded a medal?

Interesting it’s deemed approved wear but can’t be many examples where it happens given my two questions/points above

Massive tut…

JSP761

12.26. Whilst fully appreciating the increased national recognition of the unique nature of
military service and veterans and relatives desire to recognise their own and their family’s
service and sacrifice, there is no entitlement for Service personnel to wear a relative’s service
medals in uniform or in civilian clothes. Joint Service Queen’s Regulations (J10.017) states
that ‘Service personnel may only wear on uniform or civilian clothes medals awarded to them.

:nerd_face:

1 Like

You get the odd one with a BEM or similar.

Plenty of units choose go all wear MTP so that they maintain uniformity. When I shared a location with the ACF they all wore MTP as the difference between No2’s and MTP is far greater and looks odd.