Sizing a squad

Yeah, it was.

That makes no sense - surely the person being addressed is the person who gave the order ‘Number!’, in which case the reply is the rank of that person?

In the same way as a rollcall - if a Cpl is calling the names, surely you reply ‘Yes, Corporal’? Or generally when you give an order (‘Sweep up that mess!’ ‘Yes, Sergeant’.)

I tend to be in the “just call the number” camp, but if pressed to call a rank I would suggest that it should be the rank of the person you are talking to: the person who gave the order to number.

I agree,

AP818 specifies nothing, which we need to assume was the intention. Everything else is either obsolete information or personal opinion.

3 Likes

You’ll just get another bunch of differing opinions and a dumb decision :slight_smile:
There is some real nonsense going about which people have become accustomed to becuase that’s how they have always done it.

There are various drilly things that it would be worth deciding to standardise and writing into an ACP somewhere, elaborating on stuff that AP818 omits (or doesn’t care about) but which can cause confusion when units from across the country come together. The applause stuff is one prime example.

The fallback is to not get bent out of shape where it doesn’t really matter, and to brief just beforehand if there is a chance of confusion.

2 Likes

Ah, well now actually you see… That one is specifically addressed.

The logic being that if either the WO or Officer are present then the NCO IC is calling the roll “on their behalf”.
The logic to numbering is similar.

The biggest issue that people seem to have with AP 818 is in accepting the fact that not everything is written in there and that much of the RAF’s adjustments are to do with passing down current practice by training rather than by releasing a new version of AP 818 every time something is tweaked.

When we had our own drill manual - ACP 19 - you can see that the practice was clearly written into it.
We don’t have our own drill manual any more.

This is specifically why our DIs need to be able to trust the people training them and keeping them updated, and everyone else needs to trust the DIs instead of quibbling about what it says in AP 818.

The difficulty with that is that we do have some wallies who go off piste.

2 Likes

I can mention it at my RWO conference for discussion

When I was a cadet it was the rank of the person taking the squad for the last man. This is what we still do.

Drill seems to be one of those areas where there has always been a general way of doing things with some local idiosyncrasies but it has worked and people haven’t given much of a jot. I would say that outside the QCS and basic training the RAF don’t really care, which makes you wonder why we seem to or have started to. Don’t people in the ATC have better things to do, or, is it someone seems to have over inflated the role of RWO and WWO, they need to prove why they exist?

Or is it because part of what we do is drill & ceremonial?

You’re absolutely right that outside recruit training/QCS (I would also add specific ceremonial occasions) RAF people don’t worry about drill… But that’s because it’s not part of their role.
Of course you wouldn’t expect a techie to care much about drill… Any more than you’d expect a dog handler to care about servicing a turbofan.

Whilst there are some things about drill where ATC personnel seem to be unnecessary concerned the idea that we shouldn’t give a toss about drill at all is just nonsense. Like it or not it is part of our core activity.

As a cadet we were incredibly proud of our drill and i can see as a staff member that the passion for it has not gone down at all. The amount of cadets wanting to go to D&C camp is unreal.

2 Likes

Aye. It’s always popular with us too. I’m always getting asked can we do “x,y,z”…

It helps that it’s cheap… :zipper_mouth_face:

We’re lucky to have a DI on the squadron who’s not only brilliant at it, but engages the kids in a remarkable way. We’ve had staggering success at Wing, Region and Corps level and have a waiting list of cadets wanting to be on the drill team.

One of the things that’s so great about it is that the cadets can tell straightaway if they’re doing well at it, how they’re improving, and what they can work on.

1 Like

Hi one of the flight sergeants has been promoted to cadet warrent office, when we do first parade and size the squad do I say marm or cadet warrent officers as that is the highest ranking person in the vicinity

The correct way to refer to a CWO is “Warrant Officer”. At a push, “Cadet Warrant Officer”.
It is never “Sir” or “Ma’am”.

1 Like

What incubus says is correct however, before the debate kicks off about addressing as CWO or WO, if in doubt then ask her and go with that. It’ll avoid unnecessary hassle for you.

My question is, why is this still magically active after 2 years :joy:

Or why arent cadets taught this on Sqn. This question they brought this back active is first class material