Sit-In Flight Simulator

Hi all

I would like to buy/build a single-seated sit-in Flight simulator. Similar to that at a VGS, but only single seat. It would need to have a joystick, not a two-handed yoke.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise where I could buy one, or the necessary parts, or if you have a similar one at your squadron, if you would share pictures of it, to help give me ideas.

Thank you!

1 Like

Are you looking to represent a glider or powered aircraft?

box.co.uk sell alot of flight sim stuff

Biggest question.
Whats your budget?

If you have 10k then it is possible to buy a complete off the shelf.

If you have 2k then you will struggle to do anything other than a home sim set up.

Even building DIY a basic enclosure to sit in will cost a minimum of 300 - 600 depending on material costs and size etc.

Have you any parts already.

Can you at least give us the following…

1. Budget.
  2. Size of area you have in building for this.
  3. Any kit you already own.
  4. Skills on unit to undertake the project.

We can then help a bit.
Ta.

1 Like

People forgst upkeep… Technogy evolves so quickly and it gets more expensice each time

1 Like

With the level that P3D or MSFS are at right now, there’s unlikely to be a great need to upgrade software any time soon, so hardware has a longer life expectancy if that’s all you’re planning to do with it.

1 Like

I’d look at the proposal for a sit in simulator and a standard sim pc set up as a gaming rig (decent chair etc). How much extra value does a sit in rig get you vs a standard set up?

Personally I would spend the money on a multi display system with a good graphics card, and an instrument panel.

You should be able to find people online who modify controllers to simulate a glider stick and air brake if that’s your plan.

4 Likes

if you’re looking to build for a squadron I would say don’t go big and shiny, instead look to setup multiple mid-tier Sims so you can have cadets flying in the same airspace simultaneously.

2 Likes

My approach too

Just as well 2FTS would never do it like that…

Not sure if this is the best flight sim thread to post on, but Microsoft Flight Sim X is currently reduced to ÂŁ3.99 on Steam.

It’s not the latest thing but it is still perfectly capable and will run on lower spec hardware.

2 Likes

FSX was awesome when it was released

1 Like

I still have payware PMDG 777 and 737 I fly on FSX from time to time.

1 Like

Interesting at Cosford to see the RAFAC Immersive Tech team trialling MSFS2020 for the laptop/headset setups. They loved the way it looked but said the flight dynamics were definitely less realistic than P3D.

I’ve not used MSFS myself and tbh my PC isn’t up to it, but I’ve heard the same. X-Plane 12 looks promising.