Should I be worried

Since the christmas holidays ccf keeps being cancelled. this week they haven’t given us a reason for the cancelling the last two weeks they said it was because of mock exams but they don’t usually stop it for that. the ssi left suddenly over Christmas and the contingent commander and section commander are ignoring my emails asking what’s happening. as senior cadet this is hard for me as other cadets keep asking me for information. should i be worried about this?

Depends what you want to be worried about and why. I’d say don’t bother.

All you can say to the other cadets is “I know as much as you do”. You’re not really responsible for them or owe them anything in this scenario.

As for whatever is going on, if it’s anything problematic in the longer term, it’s out of your control - so there’s little point worrying.

I’m sure one or more of our ACC CCF Contingent will be along at some point and able to give a view of the what and why, and if there is any way of finding out more.

It sounds from your post like the SSI left with little or no notice. It may simply be that there are admin issues as a result and a need to reorganise the staffing team until they can get a new SSI. They probably are not giving you more info as they are not at that stage yet where it would be appropriate to share school staffing issues with students.

2 Likes

Maybe a good opportunity to seek out an Open ATC unit?

2 Likes

I’m a CCF officer; if you are comfortable with PM-ing me and letting me know which school, I can make quiet inquiries without it coming back to bite you. I understand if not but it might help put your mind at rest.

Thank you sir ive sent you a message.
we had an email late today saying it has been cancelled all half term because of staffing issues. im very worried now that its closing and that i will miss camp applications this halfterm even if it does start again

i was going to send a message but cant find how to

Are you wanting to send a private message to tmmorris? If so click the username and message.

I’ve sent you a PM - you should see an icon top right (probably a W in a circle) - click on it to see your notifications and my PM should be one; or click the envelope icon to go straight to PMs.

thank you everyone who messgaed me. we have been told today that the ccf has been closed because our ssi and squadron leader have left. i dont know what to do now, ccf wasmy only hobby and gave me confidence i don;t have elksewhere. it was the only place i made friends as im not sporty and the only way I met girls.

Find your local ATC unit - the fact your CCF staff didn’t point you in that direction before they shut it is a bit concerning but never mind. They should be more than happy to accommodate you, especially given the circumstances that lead you there.

As for the girls bit, well, I’m sure you’ll find someone :wink:

5 Likes

the email from our deputy head gave the website for the atc squadron finder and the acf detachmnet finder and said that the remaining staff member would help transfer the records over but i cant do evening activities as im looking after my mum. the girls tell us that their school are setting up a new ccf with the remaining staff just for the girls but that the boys wont be able to go and join them. its not fair

Definitley join the ATC…you’ll have way more fun :wink::wink:

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure how CCF units work if I’m honest, but maybe email their section commander and see if you could attend their CCF as an exception? I honestly don’t know if that is a possibility but it’s worth a try I guess.

That probably won’t work without a formal agreement between the schools on funding, staffing, insurance etc. I’m pretty sure I know which school this is and there is also a co-ed state school which was in the now closed partnership. A real shame that two of the three schools will be missing out (especially as I had the pleasure of meeting some of them on RAF 100 Collections) but I think there is politics between the SLTs of the private schools which may hamper the boys going over any time soon, though I would hope I’m wrong.
What I suggest you do now is parent pressure to get an agreement between the schools. Public schools don’t like unhappy parents so if you get enough parents complaining you may get somewhere. Otherwise if you can find someone to help your mother (kudos to you for caring for her but you do need to have your own life as well before you burn out) I would look into joining the ATC, even if you don’t manage both nights a week I’m sure they’ll welcome you

Is looking after your mum is long term because she is ill, disabled etc? If so speak to your school and see if there is a young carers group locally. Not sure how they work, but I’ve seen reports about them in the local rag where they have got young people who are essentially running their home and miss out on a lot of things, doing things “normal kids” do.

15 Likes

Totally and wholeheartedly agree with this. Being a young carer shouldnt be a barrier for you accessing activities. Your school or LA should be able to support you attending the ATC sqn (or other activities where you can interact with girls).

11 Likes