Should CIs be an option for New Staff

i totally agree and you have put the meat on the bones of the point i made - rather than encourage those desperately needed CIs into uniform, it was easier and quicker just to let them do more without needing to jump into uniform

interesting you say that, and reinforces the point I made in my post above…

I suspect some of that pressure is external and some self-pressure and it is how people wish to handle that which can influence their decision i guess

So are you going to be the one that tells Prince Charles?

Didnt realise he was a CI.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think (as a CI who would go into uniform but can’t … too ‘old’), the approach here is wrong.

The uniform regulation is clear and unequivocal, CI=no uniform, no camouflage, nothing resembling uniform (range officer course excepted). Has been for decades.

The resistance is at the top, not with CI’s as a body. Remove the major obstacle, the outright ban on CI’s and uniform, and go from there. Everything else is cart before the horse, unless HQ ATC is prepared to budge.

Now, what about ex USAF CI’s, could we go into USAF uniform ? HQ USAF positively encourage it.

Your post was: “Issue is uniform standards have to be upheld.
As long as we are still a part of the RAF, we cant have the elderly in uniform.”

Charlies is 72.

And we are not part of the RAF. We may be sponsored by them and wear a similar uniform but we are not part of the RAF.

1 Like

Except when parading as part of a band!

For some reason, it’s OK for CIs to wear blues under those circumstances. But not MTP on a range. :ohmygod:

Please explain…

3 Likes

What makes NCOs and officers qualified?

I think it’s bait…

4 Likes

You have not been to inter wing sports from my part of Wales. Sports is a 2 day event due to the distance (time) to travel to Cosford. From the furthest Sqn in West Wales it is a 9 hour+ round trip in a coach. Then factor in pickups for two wings Rest and comfort breaks etc, looking after other sqns cadets and the Snr Offs buggering of to the mess sort of takes the fun out of it.

2 Likes

Oh look. Teflon has a new account

1 Like

Nope too short for Teflon

He is also…
heir to the throne.
Appointed a military rank accordingly
Therefore IN the military.
Therefore not trying to join at his age.

But for clarity, my position is.
I strongly believe that CIs should be able to go into a uniformed role at any age, provided their health (as anybodies needs to be) is fit for safety.

But sadly I dont write the rules.

Oh god…

RE the discrimination comments, this just got responded too today.

I’ve been too busy to really respond to any threads the past few days (thanks covid!), but interesting reading what’s been said here! My opinion has been slightly changed from some of the arguments made. What I will add though RE the protection from discrimination conversation had higher up in the thread is that volunteers are not legally covered by the Equality Act. However, charities are expected to self govern with their own internal policy. It is however still up for debate I believe as we get VA if in uniform. CIs definitely not protected, uniforms is a grey area and full time civil staff definitely protected!

[quote=“Expired, post:228, topic:8476”]
Personally, I think the RAFAC should adopt the ACF model. It’s crazy having unqualified CIs ‘teaching’ cadets. All squadron staff should be qualified (what about formal CFAV quals?) to teach classification subjects,[/quote]

I was OC of a sqn that when i arrived had one uniformed member of staff(me).The CIs I inherited in both cases were excellent one later went into uniform as an officer and the other as an SNCO. Over the four years i was in command the sqn evolved but always CIs outnumbered uniform staff.It did not lead to the sqn being civilianised or feminised. In fact I was immensely proud of all my staff uniform or not.The cadets never called me or any of the staff by first name.The only time i ever called anyone by their first name cadet wise was senior members of my NCO team as they had earned my respect due to the work they had done and then only within the confines of my office.I left the corps just over two years ago but if you are still in I think you need to moderate your views as I find them quite offensive and disrespectful to CIs on lots of units who do outstanding work.

4 Likes

Try not to feed to the troll people. It’s what it wants.

2 Likes

There is a sqn in the C & E region who, since the March lockdown, have been on VPN’s staffed by CI’s only. None of the uniformed staff have bothered attending!

1 Like