Shopping for lightweight 2 person tent

I’m looking for a new lightweight hiking tent after my current one decided to leak in the rain on Dartmoor. It was 15+ years old so I have had my money’s worth!

New lightweight tents seem to have the thinnest fabrics. For example 10 or 20 denier nylon on the Nordisk Halland 2 LW, compared to 68 denier polyester on the Wild Country Helm.

Anyone got experience of how durable these light fabrics are? I look after my kit well but stuff happens and I don’t what a ripped tent miles from anywhere. Any recommendations on tents you’ve used?

Although not used personally for tents, I only hear good things about Alpkit so worth taking a look at their Black Friday sale.

I hadn’t thought of them for tents, but do love Alpkit, both their products and their philosophy. There are definitely some interesting options.

MSR Elixor. Cant fault it. Bit pricey but you get so much room inside for such little weight and pack size

Funnily enough that’s what we’ve ended up ordering :slight_smile: It’s not the lightest, but spacious and reasonably robust.

How much you looking to spend is the big question.

The Terra Nova Voyager Ultralight is the best on the market but it’s ridiculous money. The normal voyager is very good - packed weight of 2kg.

The guy that does group sales at TN was a CFAV and could sort discounts for squadrons, but that was a few years ago, if you have qualifications with mountain training you can apply for a professional account which nets you 30% discount which makes their tents reasonable, and very reasonable given the high quality.

I have a voyager myself and it’s served me well all over the world.

2 Likes

A Voyager would be very nice, although I decided not to spend as much as that. I found an MSR Elixir for just over £300. I’m not planning anything that needs 4 season strength at the moment and liked the amount of space. I might be tempted to get something lighter in future like a Sea to Summit Telos or Big Agnes Copper Spu for multi day walks.

Terra Nova seem to have a 30% off sale at the moment, so some bargains!