Shooting Review - Baseline Survey

For those that don’t frequent BADER and would like to have their say there is currently a HQAC Review into shooting and one of the first pieces of work is baseline survey

Find it HERE

Good spot, I had added my pennyworth! :wink:

Done! :slight_smile:

Done also.

Some of the questions weren’t well posed though, but I coped

Done.

I have not done a camp since 2008. There was not a N/A responce to the questions I had to lie as the fiels had to have a responce.
poorly designed questionare…

And no mention of Clay Target Shooting… :wink:

I mentioned it :evil:

I completed the survey a few weeks ago and was told to ‘be as honest as I like’. I expressed my points of view accordingly.

Yes I did this a few weeks back too, had a very small response so far…

I struggled to have 3 points for improvement, I think that shows that in my locality we have a good level of shooting/ there are few problems

I must be blessed compared to gunner!!

I hadn’t picked it up before, so the publicity here was very welcome.

Was it cascaded to Regions/Wgs for Wg Shooting Officers?

My general points were:

1. Disappointing that (a) only one air rifle RCO Cse this year - & (b) moved to St Mawgan form Cranwell.

2. For “simple” wpns (No 8, air rifle + L81), if you are RCO on such wpns, then you should be SAAI & WHT capable.

3. Get dispensation to relax the regulations for transportation of wpns/ammo (no need to go into detailed discussion here) - to include authority for CIs.

By this do you mean that RCOs on those weapons should be able to train and test people on those systems without holding SAAI/WI quals?

Yes. They are “simple” single shot bolt-action rifles. If required, give an “interim” SAAI/WI qualification to meet the need. For the Armed Forces, it makes good sense to have the “Safe Shooting” system in place for pistols & automatic rifles, etc.

Agreed, we also need “safe shooting” - but why overly complicate matters for our basic wpns? No issues with “full” SAAI/WI requirements for the L98, etc.

Make it simpler so more staff can train/test & more cadets will be able to shoot.

By this do you mean that RCOs on those weapons should be able to train and test people on those systems without holding SAAI/WI quals?[/quote]
We always did and I don’t recall any major dramas. As an RCO I used to teach (and test) the .22 and as we used .303 DPs as our training weapons cadets were prepared for that as well, before they went out of service.

[quote=“MikeJenvey” post=20095]I hadn’t picked it up before, so the publicity here was very welcome.

Was it cascaded to Regions/Wgs for Wg Shooting Officers?[/quote]
Have to agree - I’d not seen it anywhere before either!

I fully agree. I’d maybe look for the qCWHT “qualification” to be able to run the test but only to give some guarantee as to the quality of the testing process - that can be delivered very easily, perhaps even as a bolt-on to the RCO course (especially as that is now 2 weekends long)

Well one of the biggest balls up of late is the decision to invalidate the QcWHT qualification meaning only WI/SAAIs can carry out WHTs. Beyond ludicrous decision IMHO.

It’s not invalidated. It’s still a previous qual an qCWHT can still test. The qualification is no longer offered tho, that may be where the confusion is.

I wish that was the case however the update of ACTO 42 states that only WI and SAAI may carry out WHT. Email from OC SATT via Wg Sho Officer backs it up as well. A real loss and no reasons given to the withdrawal!

B*gger. Confirmed just now by our OC SATT. I have if asked if there was any background to the decision.

Yep, to me, a retrograde step, & a big loss to sqns.