Shooting has gone the way of flying and gliding

My RCO put his in in December and it came through a month ago.

Putting a block on people taking ranges because they haven’t got it through would be a mistake. The initial directive was overly ambitious.

Well at least he has his clearance so he can take a range.

Over ambitious in who’s eyes? Another case of staff thinking it will never happen, so they won’t/don’t complete paperwork.

i do question what value and real justification a block has.

in reality who will pass a CTC but fail a SC??
The forms are identical so its not as if the data collected is any more detailed, simply the search goes deeper.

i got mine after a month but only received it personally a week ago after chasing it given the deadline past!

Although mine was processed relatively quickly, I had completed the form to say (correctly) that my 84 yr old (widowed 21 yrs ago) ma lived on her own.

I was emailed to ask to confirm this & to add any details about any partners who had resided with her in the lasy 5 yrs:

Please don’t think me insensitive for asking, but I need you to confirm if your mother resides with a partner (or has done so within the past 3 years), if so please provide details as below:

My email was polite, my 'phone conversation equally polite - but pointed!! :wink:

If people haven’t got it sorted by now it’s either poor personal management or poor local management. Every member of my staff who held a CTC now has an SC (and most have had them for several months).

3 Likes

What’s the rough process time at the moment?

Mine was done in 2 weeks

Mine was completed in advance of the inital Jan deadline, however no one told me.

WHQ just amended my SMS record with the SC Number, so only found out when checking!!

Time to go Shooting :slight_smile:

Point to Note is that the RCO requires SC, as does a SAAI/WI and ant staff involved in the movement of Arms & Ammo as these staff all have unsupervised access.

I did my CTC in 2009 so I could become an RCO.It came back as SC cleared, it was then delayed getting to me as Wing didn’t know what SC clearance was, they had to find out. It came back annotated “We have been informed that the clearance level SC covers CTC clearance with an additional clearance besides”, Mine expires in 2019 I think a former life kicked in. There is also a CI who has had theirs refused as their credit rating is not good enough. Unbeleivable but true.

did they have CTC before?

I won’t bother then. God knows what they use to determine credit ratings but I don’t have a mortgage, use my credit card twice a year at most, don’t have a loan of any description and haven’t had since paying off the mortgage 10 years ago.

It might be worth a spin though just to see what happens.

They would take a credit rating into account because if one owed considerable sums of money and\or had a number of CCJ’s, you could be regarded as being susceptible to pressure. If you don’t have outstanding debt (as you describe above), I doubt it would prevent you from being granted SC.

1 Like

He has a dispute with Lloyds bank for £400 and it has sent his credit rating to 180/1000. They are looking into it. Not very scientific. There are Millionaires with a high credit rating who owe the world at least twice what they have.

my thoughts exactly.

it is more a case of a bad credit rating is negative rather than no rating (due to no credit experience) is a no no. but as Gunner describes your credit history is in your favour