Shooting First Aid

Because that would mean admitting that this is a workplace and a job.

2 Likes

Isn’t one of the hooks of getting staff to join is learning skills to help in civi life. FAaW does AFA doesn’t. Simples

2 Likes

One presumes that SJA are not very keen on us empowering hundreds of volunteers to teach FAAW to our cadets, and therefore taking potential customers away from them?

Does it need to be done via St John?

No, absolutely not.

That said, if we drop SJA, and award a RAFAC FAAW qualification, then we would probably need to either employ someone at HQ level to create and maintain a course folder for the FA syllabus, or specify a specific provider of FAAW for our instructors to ensure that the badges we award, and the courses we deliver are all assessed at the same level.

I guess it’s the same sort of reason why we used the BHF HS programme instead of just teaching our own basic life support syllabus?

1 Like

If you’re using a template with selectable qualifications, it’s probably a little out of date.

1 Like

IBN Re-issued with this update in Para 3;

If a CFAV has a current First Aid certificate other than a FAW, or where an alternative
qualification is identified in place of FAW, which meets the conditions of para 2, these may be considered for acceptance. Acceptance is subject to appropriate due diligence being undertaken by the Single Service MoD Sponsored Cadet Forces nominated representative (HQ RAFAC FAO) to ensure the standard of training received, and the competence of the organisation which delivered this training, meet the necessary criteria. Refer to para 2.14 of Reference A, for more detail; note The St John Ambulance Activity First Aid meets these requirements.

My Bold

2 Likes

seconded.

All i have every had was FAAW - although the first course did cover expedition FA but that has since been turned into AFA as I understand it?

Do we need SJA to award FAAW?
Our Wing has a CFAV who is a private FA provider. they complete the training for CFAVs as they would for any other client, with the exception their branded business “uniform” is swapped for MTP…

As I understand it, you need only have a current FAAW qualification and a Level 3 teaching qualification (the old PTTILLs course?).

But, your CFAV will have indemnity insurance should someone care to take them to court, I would imagine?

Given HQRAFACs risk averse nature, would they be happy to have FAAW awarded under the RAFAC umbrella without creating their own requirements? Would they be happy to accept legal liability should someone take a CFAV to court?

Using SJA or similar means that they cover the above l, and I would imagine they are better placed to produce material based on best practice?

You would need to have an awarding body registration of some sort as well.

1 Like

oooh i see that is why we go through SJA

I kind of do, too. That said, the ACF seem to manage it, so I would assume all it would take is someone at HQRAFAC to have a little imagine and grow a backbone, and we could do it too!

The ACF use the Defence Awarding Organisation. I don’t see why you guys don’t do the same thing?

I remember when we abandoned SJA, I believe part of it was there was such a high financial cost to remain with them.

2 Likes

IBN 014 requires a tourniquet.
Under what circumstances would I use a tourniquet on an Air Rifle range?

Maybe I’m just ignorant, but it seems incredibly unlikely to me that a .177 air rifle pellet would cause a wound significant enough that I’d even consider using a tourniquet?

Under no circumstance is an untrained person to … have access to the Tourniquet

I guess I’ll have to keep that tourniquet in a locked box then. But the tourniquet has to be inside the first aid kit. So maybe I should keep the first aid kit inside a locked box, with only “tourniquet trained” CFAV having the key?

1 Like

Ooooh. Ooooh. And a burns kit. Absolutely essential for Air Rifle firing…

… when I spill my tea.

:roll_eyes:

I fail to see where it says you need a tourniquet? I know it says you need that specific medical kit which does contain one (although is to be ordered separately). The implication of it being ordered separately, along with the statement “It is important to check before placing a demand for the Tourniquet that there is a CFAV trained in its correct application and use” it implies you can get one if you’ve got someone qualified, but otherwise don’t. That’s my understanding of it at least.

1 Like

Any yet I am trained in the use of a Tour Iquitos but because my employer doesn’t feel the need to throw money at SJA or similar my First Aid doesn’t count and I have to give up a weekend doing an FA qualification.

My understanding too.

Trying to find out where to get trained on them though.

Respectfully, I disagree.

The IBN requires:

All ranges are mandated to be equipped with … Medical Module 069

“Components to make a MED Module 069” includes the tourniquet, so the module would be incomplete without it.

Sadly not something widely offered within the RAFAC. I do find it pretty amusing that FAaW is seen as the appropriate qualification for running a range given it has basically 0 chance of helping in a situation where someone actually ended up with a GSW. I know the chances are really really slim but still. What you learn on AFA/FAaW for basic bleeds won’t really hold up if you have to deal with a catastrophic bleed, be that junctional/truncal GSW or what ever.

Basic wound packing and tourniquet use wouldn’t be too hard to offer within wings to the shooty types that might require it.