Sharepoint Announcements 12 month probationary period for Sgts

True, but I never twigged that there were any restrictions even after attending SSIC.

I can’t find a similar exclusion during probation for Officers.

9 Likes

I found the officer reference:

Officers may not attend annual camps or other courses until they have satisfactorily completed the OIC at the ATF.

Contrast to the SNCO restrictions:

Individuals are not permitted to participate in external activities during their probationary period

I saw that but didn’t dig deeper. There really should not be any disparity between the two and this may be best highlighted upstairs (to RC(N)?) for investigation and querying.

Just got to work out how one can phrase such a question without using any rude words. I think I’d struggle.

1 Like

I think the 12 month quarantine is a very sensible precaution - after all, we don’t want newly uniformed officers and SNCOs spreading a highly dangerous contagion like enthusiasm or, even worse, commitment and a willingness to participate. After 12 months (but preferably 18) any residual joie de vivre can easily be squeezed out of them by the routine Corps pettiness!

19 Likes

Are you factoring in the crippling sense of hopelessness that we instil through the application process prior to their appointment?

6 Likes

That’s a fair point and I hadn’t considered it; but the fact that they’ve struggled through that process means that they potentially have a highly infectious strain of enthusiasm and so the Corps must do everything it can to assure their safe assimilation in to the hive. And I’m pretty sure that mixing my metaphors is almost as contagious as mixing my toasties! Perhaps I need to place myself in to quarantine just to be safe.

5 Likes

So, we’ve got a CI on my sqn who’s expecting his appointment to ASgt any second. Does this mean he could take cadets flying one day, then receive a letter in the post the next, and then not be allowed to take cadets anywhere for a year?

Makes perfect sense…

8 Likes

Apparently, yes.

HQAC need to start a UOV (understanding our volunteers) project as by this they have clearly failed (if it ever really started) with the VOV mumble.

A number of camps and weekends get very close to being binned as insufficient staff put themselves forward. Camp and activity staffing was never the problem it seems to have become, so to say to a group of people willing to volunteer to give up weekends / weeks, no, you can’t unless we can get permission is about as stupid as it can get. I can imagine in the next couple of weeks the string of emotional blackmail emails from all and sundry at wing saying annual camps won’t happen if staff don’t put themselves forward.

The question is what value or information does OIC and SSIC bring to individuals that makes say going to camp impossible?

They will have probably been to camp and or done things as a CI, so what would they have do at ATF that is so essential, makes is difficult to grasp. As said why bother going into uniform if you can’t do anything for 12 months or longer if ATF don’t run/cancel courses.

I’ve done all 3 courses (although it was AWO not SSIC) in my time and never come away feeling better endowed.

Even if it did, the concept that they can’t go to camp after attending SSIC is truly bewildering.

4 Likes

This makes you think this is all about control and building / reinforcing the fantasy that being a uniformed volunteer in the ATC is somehow something special and you have to tick all these boxes.

What HQAC still don’t seem to understand is that people who volunteer can just go and leave a hole that is difficult to fill and this is across the board in all ‘places’ reliant on people volunteering. Make things less attractive and people just won’t as it’s their spare time and holiday they are using.

Do we actually need the courses at ATF? We seem to have preparation courses for ATF which could be used instead of ATF to give whatever information people are supposed to need. Which keep things much more local. However not doing these shouldn’t be used as a block on doing things.

If I came away better endowed i’m sure Mrs Biggles_Lovechild would let me go on as many courses as I could get :crazy_face::heart_eyes:

11 Likes

New IBN017.

Waivers … are not to be granted in general to allow participation in all activities.

Consider: OC Region is happy for a staff member to attend activities. Prior to this, they issued a general waiver. Now, they must respond to a barrage of emails requesting specific authorisation for each activity.

I really can’t see the reasoning here.

At least there is some sanity in the new policy - it does allow attendance at staff training courses without a waiver:

Attendance of probationary SNCO on personal training/development courses and Rgn/Wg trg days is permitted without the need for a waiver.

Maybe we should consider every activity a “personal development course” :smiling_imp:

This policy is still a complete load of toss.

4 Likes

Never understood why you had to drag yourself down to Cranwell anyway.I did my initial course back in the mid 90s .Even then it consisted of just a lot of foot drill and uniform inspections.A bit of lecture technique and a final 10 minute presentation test.Also a bit on service writing (in the age of e mails that is now defunct no more of “i remain your obedient servant”)

This was dragged out over a weeks course.Looking back theres nothing there that couldnt have been done locally with subsequent savings on travel costs etc.Of course we have to have people kept in non jobs at ATF.

1 Like

The year-long period for SNCOs (who by definition will already be experienced) being by far the tossiest.

6 Likes

Not necessarily - you can be a direct entrant SNCO off the street, and I agree for that we need a probationary period.

But if you’ve joined as a CI and done 6 months probation, doing another 12 makes no sense at all and is a complete waste of time.

2 Likes

Does this ever actually happen without previous service of some sort though?