SharePoint Access

Should the SharePoint part of Bader be open to all or should it have restricted access only to staff? Would it increase the transparency of what goes on in the corps if cadets could have access? Agreed restricted/protected documents should be protected but do we need a password to access ACPs< TG forms etc.

You can give it to some senior or staff cadets. That way they can look things up for themselves and do things like enter registers on Bader.

Once you’re into sharepoint you’re in and nothing is sacred. SMS is s different beast and you can set up accounts and restrict access but it then gives access to the general email account.
Speaking to a number of my fellow sqn cdrs over the last few years, unless people have one of the specific roles (Adj or TO) there is enough difficulty getting people to look at or do anything with the Corps’ electronic systems. I suppose cadets might think it is exciting to see / get information and do things, but like for us back in the day it soon wears off. I did registers, took subs and amended books but always thought shouldn’t the staff be doing this. I’ve given cadets tasks over the years and found I did more chasing.
I’ve got a generic sqn account for SMS so that any staff member can access it and no one does unless I actually insist.

WRT sharepoint one delve into it and people get frustrated and or lose patience due to it’s shambolic, haphazard, illogical nature. I have to use it and do so only if I have no other option. How many people find things by accident or not where they expect(ed) to find it and then once they think they are up to speed someone moves it or changes it’s name? Would I want to expose cadets to this?

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=25265]Once you’re into sharepoint you’re in and nothing is sacred. SMS is s different beast and you can set up accounts and restrict access but it then gives access to the general email account.
Speaking to a number of my fellow sqn cdrs over the last few years, unless people have one of the specific roles (Adj or TO) there is enough difficulty getting people to look at or do anything with the Corps’ electronic systems. I suppose cadets might think it is exciting to see / get information and do things, but like for us back in the day it soon wears off. I did registers, took subs and amended books but always thought shouldn’t the staff be doing this. I’ve given cadets tasks over the years and found I did more chasing.
I’ve got a generic sqn account for SMS so that any staff member can access it and no one does unless I actually insist.

WRT sharepoint one delve into it and people get frustrated and or lose patience due to it’s shambolic, haphazard, illogical nature. I have to use it and do so only if I have no other option. How many people find things by accident or not where they expect(ed) to find it and then once they think they are up to speed someone moves it or changes it’s name? Would I want to expose cadets to this?[/quote]

not 100% true, I have no access to a wing site calendar despite requesting several times - took a while to get access to other areas too

As kitkat said; we have ‘locked down’ areas, only available to those with the correct permissions.

Whilst I agree in principle with open access to SharePoint in the main, some areas do need to be locked down and given limited access. But I do find it useful in some ways, but annoying in others. Back in the day, each unit/Wing/Region had its own way of doing things (probably still happens :stuck_out_tongue: ), but SharePoint should do away with numerous copies of the same document, etc, doing away with outdated versions, but it doesn’t; thats where it gets vey annoying.

Not a concern any more since there are no new documents at Protect or Restricted level.
There aren’t any on Sharepoint (to my knowledge) anyway since everybody up top seemed to think that Bader wasn’t ‘authorised’ to hold Restricted level (which is a myth as far as JSP440 was concerned).

There’s nothing on Sharepoint that cadets should be desperately kept away from (aside from Wizard of Oz syndrome - Don’t let them look behind the curtain…)
Provided they’ve completed the basic Protecting Information course to explain the point of ‘need to know’, there shouldn’t be any problem.

I wonder if HQ has cought up with the fact that ‘Unclassified’ and ‘Restricted’ don’t exist any more… Replaced by ‘Official’.

Judging by the number of times I’ve heard various people at various levels say “Official - Sensitive is the ‘new Restricted’…” I’m going to say it’s a 50/50 chance :unsure: