Senior cadet

so i have been looking around and can’t seem to find a definitive answer, as to what a cadet SNCO IC is supposed to do as their role on a squadron, as it seems to vary a lot from place to place. thanks.

Short answer; you’ve already uncovered the answer (and problem).

Long answer; not sure you’re going to find one definitive answer!! It varies between wings and squadrons.

My expectations will differ from the next persons. Different and successive OCs will have different expectations as the needs of the squadron change. Even the same OC might change the definition depending on the needs of the squadron at the time. I’ve even promoted one SNCO over another according to the needs of the squadron at that time and going forward over the next 12-18 months. Sometimes a “drill pig” is what’s needed - some times it isn’t.

Broadly I’d want an ambassador and figurehead. Somebody to lead and inspire cadets. Somebody with a broad range of experiences who can “sell” our activities. Somebody with excellent communication skills - especially listening. Somebody to raise the aspirations of the cadets. Somebody who could act as a strong link between staff and cadets. Somebody i’d be comfortable leaving with a VIP or parent for 30 minutes and not having to worry about what they are going to do or say. Somebody who’s not afraid to challenge me if I’m about to make an epic boo - or if they simply disagree with me. Somebody who’s prepared to support me as i introduce new policies from on high even when we both disagree with them. Somebody who is smart, dependable, reliable, confident without bolshiness, resilient, approachable, honest etc etc.

Yeah… not too much to expect! But their role would pretty much need all these skills and more!! A facilitator, a square basher, a figure head, a meeter and greeter, an ambassador, a presenter, an educator, a leader, a 2 way feedback mechanism, a team player, a buffer.

3 Likes

If you are looking for black and white definitions

ACTO 7 - Annex B
and/or
ACP 049 - table 1.1 / paras 5- 7

these are more skills/traits of a SNCO rather than specifically roles for a SNCO on Sqn but I am sure they cross over neatly

AND you will do all of this while probably dealing with A Levels / Further Education, part-time work or a full time job with additional training. So not too much to expect.

Absolutely - nobody said it was easy - that’s why it’s not listed as a skill!!! :wink: