Selling Squadron owned Air rifles

Hi,

We bought two Bsa Meteor Air rifles years ago. That haven’t been used for years.

We looked at them the other day… Breech seals gone, some light rust.

I said fit new breech seals and sell em.

Boss said ;

1. We cannot do any repairs… Must be done by armourer or registered firearms dealer.

2. We have to have them certificated by said registered firearms dealer to show not over 12ft llbs before we can sell them.

3. He has been told (probably by said registered firearms dealer) that they are only worth scrap/spares value.

Is he right? Any experts on here?
It seems ludicrous to me. We bought them using committee raised funds. Why can’t we do what we like with them?

The same happened with two nice old martini. 22 rifles. I think the local registered firearms dealer gave him £35 each. He has a shop… He is there to make money. I don’t want to be fleeced again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would say this might be correct if you are going to use them for ATC purposes, but if selling them on then I don’t think so. Joe Bloggs down the road doesn’t have access to an armourer.

I am no expert, but I have seen no evidence of this online. As long as you know they are under 12ft/lbs they can be sold and don’t need any official certificate. Again, I’m no expert- perhaps contact one of the many websites that sells them.

If it is the same firearms dealer you sold the rifles to, it sounds like he is fleecing. Obviously he needs to be able to make a profit on them as he sells them on, so you will get less selling to a dealer than privately. Check the classified ads for similar rifles to find out how much they are worth.

Meteors aren’t worth anything. Scrap them and be done with it.

You don’t need them certifying as under the legal limit to sell them, just sell them and get a receipt off the person you sold them to in order to keep a paper trail.

If using for RAFAC purposes then you need a record of servicing in line with the manufacturers recommendation. If selling on then do what you want and advertise them with all the details.

That’s pretty much what I was offered for Martini-Henrys, too. Perhaps it’s just the going rate.

Thanks all. I thought it was a bit strange having to do that just to sell them privately. I will tackle him again but initially (when I questioned his facts) I was told (by him) that he was right and that it is his area of expertise!