Section commanders

Hi all,
Recently our sqn has introduced section commanders which means a cadet or jnco has 3 or 4 cadets to look after the problem is that even though they have been told if they are not an nco then they do not act like it yet despite me and multiple jnco’s telling two of these cadet section commanders they are refusing to listen and are even telling us nco’s off which isnt acceptable unless your an snco
Any tips?

Bring it to squadron staff. Seems to me the cadet section commanders aren’t quite sure of how they should be carrying out their duties.

The cadets places more emphasis on rank (in my opinion) than it should. When I was a Liney before my fitters course, I held the dubious “honour” of being ‘daddy liney’ for a time. During that time I was expected to look out for the newer LACs that arrived on squadron. At the time I was an SAC so not an NCO.

This is sort of the role I think those section commanders should be carrying out. No authority, that’s why you have NCOs, but relating their experience to the newer cadets.

But I’ve been ranting here. Speak to your squadron staff, ensure the section commanders have a clear terms of reference to adhere to.

1 Like

I’m with “Horriblelittletechie”… it sounds like the idea was put in place for all the right reasons but the implementation needs some guidance for those placed in charge.

Having a mix of NCOs and cadets all with the same responsibilities with a title like this is only going to come a cropper, IMO. From you describe the cadets given this title don’t see any difference between them and NCOs and TBH who can blame them, they are being expected to do the same and the term ‘section commander’ will have definite connotations attached to it.

What you describe is mentors, calling them section commanders sounds like someone playing at pseudo military BS because of the type of organisation we are and confusing everyone. We have older cadets of all ranks acting as mentors and that’s what they are. Also many schools have pupil mentors (several of our year 8 cadets as well as 9 and 10 are) so something that the cadets may well be accustomed to. I would regard a mentor as a POC for people to ask if they are unsure and need advice or guidance and to offer advice or observe them. As I say section commander gives a vision of an NCO role.