Scottish independence Supreme Court ruling

The Supreme Court has ruled the Scottish government cannot hold anlther independence referendum without Westminster’s consent.

A big day in politics indeed

[BBC News - Scottish government loses indyref2 court case Scottish government loses indyref2 court case - BBC News](BBC News - Scottish government loses indyref2 court case Scottish government loses indyref2 court case - BBC News)

Is the right ruling, as if they said yes then the Scotish Parliment would of held constant referendums until they got a yes.

1 Like

It’s the right ruling because it’s consistent with the legislation

8 Likes

I never said it wasn’t, it’s good that legislation is there to stop the Scotish parliment taking liberties and having constant referendums :wink:

7 Likes

Deep joy…

It’s no legal comment, because I have little interest, and no expertise, in such things.

Our farm is on the border - address is England, farmhouse is in England, most of the farmland is in England - but about 20% is in Scotland, which produces some administrative headaches, not least because for some things its about the address of the farm, and for others the location of the field.

If this is it starting again - and I mean the unpleasantness, the uncertainty, and the potential outcomes, we’ll probably sell the land that’s in Scotland. That’s not an anti-Scottish thing, it’s simply about the ability to manage a farm/business that’s spread over two jurisdictions.

Local feeling - borders area - is (broadly) ‘sake, not again…’.

We’ve bought a flat for the eldest while she’s at University - in Glasgow - so we’re keeping a foot in both camps. Quite happy to live and work in an indy Scotland, but the bit between now and then is going to be an absolute ■■■■…

1 Like

I think we probably should let them have their say, the No campaign did after all sell staying in the Union on the strengths of staying in the EU…

2 Likes

As much as I don’t want then to leave the Union and would normally say it’s a once in generation thing, I agree that Brexit has drastically altered the landscape and they should be allowed another go. Even if it will cause the current economic problems to get worse both sides of the border for the foreseeable future

1 Like

Maybe there should be a referendum in England Wales and NI asking do we want Scotland to stay in the union?

2 Likes

What’s the mechanism to eject a constituent member country against their will?

Nope. The only mechanism that exists, or is accepted to exist, is for a constituent member to leave the UK.

So you could have England, Wales and NI all have their own referenda, leave the UK, and set up whatever new creation they wanted, but you can’t eject a member state.

1 Like

Unless and until an Act Of Parliament is produced and set into law enabling such a move.

Economically, Scotland is a basket-case. I very much doubt that with their current deficit that they would be able to service their share of the national debt. Then they have to consider which currency they would use - the BoE has already ruled out Scotland using GBP and they won’t be the lender of last resort. If they were to do that, this means that Scotland would have their fiscal policy set by a foreign country and the blue-faces wouldn’t like that very much.

Then of course, there’s the loss of the Barnett formula, what will Scotland trade with (and don’t say North Sea oil because a) it’s diminshing and b) the Scottish Greens won’t let them). Whiskey maybe?

So, with an extremely high deficit (the EU will say ‘non’ to entry), the inability to pay billions towards the national debt, no Barnett formula, the Greens putting the kybosh on oil and no currency; Scotland is unlikely to survive. And that’s before a high proportion of Scottish businesses relocate south of the border, not to mention the closure of Faslane with the associated loss of jobs.

But hey, the blue-faced, kilted hordes want their independance…

4 Likes

Not just Faslane but Leuchers, Kinloss and Lossiemouth, tearing up the runways etc on the way out. At the point of independence the Shetland Islands declare UDI.

3 Likes

If England got a vote Scotland would be independent so fast the SNP would probably scream about racism and discrimination.

Last time the SNP’s whole financial argument last time hinge on “oil won’t drop in value” it was about $100 a barrel at the time and all their plans argued it would go up. Instead it dropped to $50 a barrel shortly after the election. It’s currently $81 a barrel.

Well the SNP argument through Brexit was that they should be allowed to stay on as they voted to stay in, I doubt that logic will continue into an IndyRef when all of the Islands vote to remain.

1 Like

So if Scotland goes it alone, does that make all Scottish squadrons ‘overseas squadrons’ :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

More likely to be disbanded

3 Likes

Or turned into the Scottish version of Young Pioneers and Komsomol.

1 Like

The Nicoler Youth

3 Likes

Might have to start paying for education and prescription charges in Scotland.

1 Like