SCC aviation course

Was going to say, I was pretty sure it was 27 spaces per region :blush:

That would have been 1/4 of the interviews. I was on one of the other panels.

4x half day sessions with 12 interviewees per session.

Seem to recall SCC purchased/gifted our old motor gliders?

As far as I know SCC only use FAA Tutors. Vigis went to Aerobility.

I stand corrected. I was going on what I was told at a VGS, but this was before the Aerobility deal, and there may have been a tad of bad feeling there as it was shortly after the VGS closures.
SCC were using Grob 109s back in 2016 but donā€™t know if these were/are civil or mil registered.

Picked up in the aviation press : Bronze Wings awarded to 14 sea cadets : FLYER

It seems that there was no flying as part of this course, which means SCC are issuing ā€˜wingsā€™ to cadets with zero flying/ gliding. At least our cadets get to fly before getting a badge and only get ā€˜wingsā€™ for solo now.

The article also shows how little resource the SCC must have to deliver this, hundreds of applicants for 14 places and then only 12 going on to get any flying at all.

Also, what is the weird ā€˜Sergeant Lieutenantā€™ rank the SCC have invented?

I do personally know someone who has served in all three services but, I doubt heā€™s famous enough.

Iā€™m sure I read recently about a senior RAF officer in WW2 who served in the 3 services. If memory serves me correct it was along the lines of served in the Royal Naval Division, transferred to the Royal Flying Corps then Royal Air Force on its formation. For the life of me I canā€™t remember who.

I did however find Air Vice Marshal, Frederick George Darby Hards CBE, DSC, DFC (17 April 1889 ā€“ 10 July 1963) who enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers in 1914, then went on to serve in the Royal Naval Air Service throughout WW1 and then into the RAF in 1918.

ā€œI will just check Hardsā€ doesnā€™t quite have the same ring to it does it.
ps This answer was brought to you by Google and Wikipedia, as much as my head contains a large amount of useless information this wasnā€™t in it until now :roll_eyes:

1 Like