Salisbury Plain

Morning all,

I am going on a deployed ex in Salisbury Plain in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone who had been before could give me some ground orientation/insight into what the area is like.

TIA

1 Like

Is this related to your previous questions RE booking cell information etc? If so, I’d like to hope you’ve done a recce and completed a MOD Form 1930/SAAF thing?

1 Like

No, completely unrelated - i have many fingers in many pies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cold.

yay…

Brews all around then!

It’s bleak - but there are bleaker!!!

To be honest it depends on what areas are booked as there are so many different variables involved!

But, at this time of year, it’s likely to be cold and bleak. And with little foliage on the trees, quite brown and windy. Potentially with some lovely thick, heavy mud to cling to your boots for added character building!

2 Likes

On par with the Hilton

1 Like

I run a few exercises on SPTA.

It’s a big guess… I’ve been out and had Snow in May, and had blazing hot sunshine in October…

It’s the luck of the draw.

Accommodation wise, if its on camp, is simple transit accommodation. If its in the field…enjoy the bushes and trees. You might be lucky, and sleep in a barn?

SPTA is the UK’s largest training area, so it is pretty difficult to give a succinct account of it. You will need plenty of transport to get around. There are some old camps on the training area that can be used as accommodation while on FTX (sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags), it depends what you book.

One other thing, you can’t go everywhere in the area on a minibus. Depending on where you go, you might need to borrow suitable vehicles if you aren’t sticking near the main roads.