SAAI Pre Requisites

Why?

The regulations require RCOs and SAAIs/WIs to be “current and competent”. How does one become current and competent? One gets trained by an SAAI/WI and passes a WHT.

Are we saying that we trust our instructors to qualify brand-new people to fire the weapon but we don’t trust them to train previously experienced people to the same standard?

4 Likes

Well we don’t trust them to supervise LFMT, so stop trying to apply logic to the shooting world.

1 Like

I would recommend getting to a few shoots as an observer even if only indoor ranges - or you might have a relevant first aid qualification, etc - worth “shadowing” the RCO to see the (prior) planning / approval/ processes / briefing / control / RASPS & RAMs + all the palaver!

That’s not strictly true, the weapons category would need to be authorised by the OC SATT in their ticket, the IWT doesn’t actually have to be carried out by a SATT.

I find it interesting people have all these rules they are abiding by and yet I’m not aware of a single reference to any of these in the ACTOs, CTR or the SASC course folders. Might be me missing them but would be interesting if people could post references.

2 Likes

Has anybody checked the Ask a Question section on the Shooting portal, or does anybody fancy posing one?

About which of the above bits?

You can post on there and I’ll answer it there as well if you like :wink:

4 Likes