S10 respirators? Yay or Nay?

Heyup folks,

Quick question, in the past my squadron has used S10’s (no canister) as part of leadership exercises etc, however someone recently mentioned that they thought they were banned now? Or at the very least had to have holes cut in them?

Anyone know anything about what the rules are?

[quote=“GrimReaper” post=21125]Heyup folks,

Quick question, in the past my squadron has used S10’s (no canister) as part of leadership exercises etc, however someone recently mentioned that they thought they were banned now? Or at the very least had to have holes cut in them?

Anyone know anything about what the rules are?[/quote]
Did they claim a source for this magical reference? Maybe some sort of written instruction?

I’ve certainly never heard of it. They probably also think that “only PTIs can give press-ups as a punishment”…

How would cutting holes into somthing that has been designed to breath through make it any safer???

Shared ressies? The horror…the horror…

Isn’t it only the GSR that suffocates you if you take the canisters off*? Hence the rock Corporal found unconscious in the block at Halton wearing nothing but his respirator and black outer gloves…

*S10 was just before my time, ie: they issued me one and then took it off me before I actually did any CBRN

Yes, unlike the GSR the S10 doesn’t seal upon removal of the canister, so you won’t suffocate!

Oh, the happy TACEVAL days of sitting in a “shelter” or working for hours with the S10… Nah, no-one ever cracked the canister seal in order to make breathing a bit easier! :stuck_out_tongue:

Worse was the aircrew NBC respirator with the whistling handbag power pack - that was really claustrophobia city! :S

S10? You were lucky. In my day it were S6 and t’Flight Sergeant would make us inhale t’nerve agent and dance on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Oh, how we used to love having the 'guins in the RTF. NBC(I) having a bad day and lighting more tablets than were strictly necessary but justified by giving said 'guins a ‘totally immersible experience’.

Oh, the coughing, bitching, spluttering (and the occasional bit of vomiting) when they had to do eating and drinking drills, immediate decontam (along with one or two other less ‘savoury’ drills involving the release of the lower part of the suit) or maybe just to test how good they [I]really[/I] were when they were going out the door reciting name, rank and number with their masks off, we’d pretend we couldn’t hear them and close the door again until they repeated it so we [I]could[/I] hear…

Sigh. Happy days.

Let’s keep on topic and not get too nasty please!

I hope they’re not banned in the ACO, as they’re an integral part of the initiation ceremonies on our Sqn…

:wink:

[quote=“tango_lima” post=21153]Shared ressies? The horror…the horror…

Isn’t it only the GSR that suffocates you if you take the canisters off*? Hence the rock Corporal found unconscious in the block at Halton wearing nothing but his respirator and black outer gloves…

*S10 was just before my time, ie: they issued me one and then took it off me before I actually did any CBRN[/quote]

I would take the S10 over the GSR anyday. Pretty certain none of them lock off without the cannisters.
Hence the Drill being Deep breath in. Hold, Decon then when the Resi is donned a big blow out to remove particles? Can a rock weigh in, I know how you guys love that CBRN stuff?
I think I still have both mine for some reason I will endevear to find out for you!

I have fond memories of vomiting in my S10 on Sennyfridge after being bumped in full dress cat 4 romeo with Full Bergan, 200link for the Gun round my neck, and the Gun and a Jerry Can which luckily the lads helped out with.
The picture ended up on the Walter Hunter club on facebook with someone else claiming it was them!

And back on topic. WHY? Cadets dont need to do NBC(CBRN) So No. And pretty damn sure its not in Acp16.

But how can I teach them correct MUC room entry drills without respirators, UBACS, and Ospreys?? Do you know where I can get the black tinted lenses for the S10’s while I’m at it???

Seriously fella, use your imagination a bit, there are plenty of things CBRN kit could be used for outside of teaching them the CBRN drills.

Thanks for the help folks, looks like they aren’t banned, didn’t think they would be!

Question answered, thread locked.