Rucksack Suggestions

That is my criticism of the DCC bag too. It’s designed for a harness for Comms kit. I find it works less well than a cheap MTP lookalike daysack for general use. So I stick Comms to in it. For a weekend away I grab the PRI/Predator which fits smock, warm kit even a sleeping bag without much hassle.

Will be interesting to see what the Virtus bag is like, it sounds like there are different models of it out there.

1 Like

From a quick search there appears to be a 17l, (looks like side pouch size), a 40l(?) Which looks a bit like the PRI/Predator, and rumour of a 90l.

17l looks ok, but a bit on the small size.

Another interesting bag is the issue MTP bowman Bergen, it’s too big for day use, but is better for heavier items, with a belt and floating lid.

Agree, I’m getting rid of mine, too heavy as a day bag on its own before I’ve even put kit in it!

I’ve only seen the 17L at displays. Looks like it would fit water rations an ORH and other odds and ends. A possibility if you’re dumping most of your kit in a Bergan at the patrol harbour or leaving in a vehicle. But they sell for silly money!

For some reason there are lots of the 90L Virtus Bergans on fleabay.

1 Like

Do you have the Comms harness?

There’s all sorts of fancy kit out there these days at varying prices, though I have to say that for the few occasions that I’ve needed it I’ve never gone far wrong with my old issue OG infantry bergen (gained for free of course from a friendly storeman over the years).
For small carrying I just use the cheap issued black daysack (free also).

I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve worn the two bergen side pouches zipped together on the daysack yoke.

1 Like

The internal straps that are meant to hold the radio in place?

Yes mine came without

Yeah, mine has some internal straps inside.

Despite of all the Gucci stuff, my favourite daysack is my Berghaus Munro, it’s simple and does the job. Just a little too small for anything substantial unfortunately.

I miss my Munro

1 Like

Perhaps a left-feild option is a Berghaus Cyclops Roc - it’s a 70/80l sack, but it genuinely compresses down to a 35/40 sack.

Its not been produced for 20+ years, but there’s always a couple on fleabay. They are comfortable, and utterly indestructible.

1 Like

Didn’t berghaus do a modular Bergan daysack thing? MMPS or something?

Edit: https://ukmcpro.co.uk/products/berghaus-mmps-grab-bag-35l

Someone is flogging a Predator 30 on fleabay - personally I think it’s too small for a CFAV out for the day a training area - but it might be worth keeping an eye on…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164114893098

1 Like

Any recommendations on a MTP day sack, dont want to sell organs for one but looking for mid market recommendations?

Ah, that old chestnut …

I have acquired several over the years and the one I go back to / use most is the issued PLCE Infantry daysack / patrol pack. It simple, flexible and versatile, plus in my view at least, ally.

Only drawback is lack of small compartments for admin, so I have a molle pouch on mine.

Wait one and I’ll get you the
NSN.

I use the current “infantry bergen”. 45L that you can attach side pouches to. I’ll show you tomorrow/ send a picture of it if I don’t see you.

Is that the Virtus one?

The 45l patrol pack is about the best compromise, not the newer virtus one.

You can strap pouches on the side, loads about on the second hand market too.

I find mine is perfect for weekends in the field with the side pouches on.

3 Likes

If you want to wear it with belt-kit, then Dragon Supplies do superb pack that looks like a Munro but is shorter and wider. Entirely custom built - utility pouches, mesh side pockets, lid pockets, whatever you like.

If you don’t want to use it with belt-kit, then go for a Munro. You can get them in Multicam, personally however I’d go with a green one.