Royal Warrant

Hi,

I was hoping that somebody might have the full wording of the Royal Warrant, or even better, a photo of it.

Is it on display anywhere?

I’m trying to find a picture that the new cadets can associate with it, as some of them have never heard the word ‘warrant’ before and find it hard to remember.

Many thanks in advance.

We’ve got our original on the wall at Squadron and I’m there tomorrow morning - will photo and upload if I can!

(assuming nobody gets there first!)

If you’ll permit me a slight deviation from the original question for a moment…this has reminded me of something I was going to ask.

Has anyone any knowledge of their Sqn having been issued with a new warrant at any time?

As we know HQAC/Wing maintain very little (if anything) by way history of Squadrons so I’ve been able to get nothing from up the chain.

Our warrant is dated 1964 (which would suggest that next year would be a big year) however consensus around the village seems to be that the Squadron has existed much longer than that.

It’s possible of course that we started out as a DF at some time and were upgraded to Sqn status in '64.
Another possiblity is that the Squadron may have disbanded at some point, and then reformed under our current number in '64.

But I wonder whether it’s possible that we were simply issued an updated warrant? And it’s that warrant, not the start of the Sqn which dates from 1964.

Ah, sorry, I think I’ve asked for the wrong thing.

I’m after the document with the aims of the ATC on it (to promote and encourage among young people a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force, etc.)

ACP31 tells me that it was last updated in 1967.

A picture of a squadron warrant would be most welcome though!

Ah…‘the aims’.
Royal Warrant was most recently updated in 1990 to set out the aims as:

To Promote and encourage among young people a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force

To Provide Training which will be useful both in the Services and in civilian life

To foster the spirit of adventure and to develop the qualities of leadership and good citizenship

I’ve never seen a picture of the actual warrant or its full wording.

1 Like

[quote=“jacques” post=4333]Hi,

I was hoping that somebody might have the full wording of the Royal Warrant, or even better, a photo of it.

Is it on display anywhere?

I’m trying to find a picture that the new cadets can associate with it, as some of them have never heard the word ‘warrant’ before and find it hard to remember.

Many thanks in advance.[/quote]

AP1919 CHapter 1 Annex A records the wording of the Royal Warrant.

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/APs/AP%201919%20-%20Chapter%2001.doc

If I remember I’ll get you a picture of ours tomorrow morning!

I tell a lie… of course I’ve seen that before.

you lie and then wonder why you get bad karma!

Here’s our warrant.

With respect, it’s not (please don’t take offence).

What I mean by this is that this document is neither a Squadron Warrant Scroll, specifically authorising your squadron to exist, nor is it a facsimile of the full Royal Warrant that permitted the ATC to be raised in 1941 (or of the subsequent amended Warrants of 1947 and 1968).

It is possible to date your document to having been produced after 1968 because of the use of the word “citizenship” (this exact word didn’t figure in the two earlier versions of the Royal Warrant, but your document has a few other minor differences from the 1968 version that I reckon it’s based upon).

The use of the word “Objects” is a largely-outmoded version of ‘objectives’, and is totally in keeping with the use of that word in the 1968 Warrant.

Other indications of later date include: the reference to the Duke of Edinburgh as Air Commodore-in-Chief, so that places it after 1953; the proportions of the paper, which look to be ISO A4 rather than quarto or foolscap; the colour of the paper, which looks like modern bleached block rather than tinted pulp (btw you’ve done a good job taking a picture of it, hung on the wall).

I can’t make my mind up about the Gothic lettering, which has been used in a well-intentioned attempt to give the document added presence. I wondered if it might have been done using Letraset rather than by hand calligraphy, because it’s very tight and accurate, but the faded red (?) sections are making me wonder if it might have been hand-inked using a stencil?

Please note, it’s been doing a great job, clearly over a number of years, reminding people about what the aims (as they now appear to be referred, rather than ‘objects’).

And you posting it has done something unexpected…it’s made me suddenly realise that there should in theory now be a formally-amended version of the Royal Warrant that’s after this classic semi-1968 extract version.

Does anyone actually have the full text of, and date enacted, of an ATC Royal Warrant which reads (according to Wiki, [strike]so it must be true[/strike]:

[quote]To promote and encourage among young men and women a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force.[/quote] (my bold…a post-1981 girls-can-join version?)

Alternatively, does anyone have the full text of, and date enacted, of an ATC Royal Warrant (potentially current) which reads (according to the classic ACP31-1):

[quote]To promote and encourage among young people a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force.[/quote] (my bold…an alternative girls-can-join version).

Just minor differences: but finding three different versions in the opening sentence of ATC’s current(?) Warrant is intriguing. Are we still just covered by the 1968 version (ACP31-1 thought we were, and that paper version is dated 2000…see this link for an old-school PDF of the classic ACP)…or has it been subsequently updated??

wilf_san

ps does anyone want me to post the full 1941, 1947 and 1968 versions?

Woops. Oh well thanks for letting me know Wilf!

[quote=“wilf_san” post=4374]

ps does anyone want me to post the full 1941, 1947 and 1968 versions?[/quote]

Wilf if you have these it would be a fantastic help :slight_smile:

Will get that sorted out either over the weekend (work permitting) or early next week

wilf_san

What a Fab Tread, did anyone get a final decision on this.