Rifles on recruiting stand?

In the past I have noticed that military units will often rock up at an event and have some form of hardware on show at their recruiting stand. Rifle on a chain for little tommy to hold and have his photo taken with etc.

Just wondering if this has ever been allowed by a cadet unit, or is it strictly verboten ? Having an L98A2 or L103A2 at the local fete would certainly generate some interest … and probably some security nightmares.

MB

[attachment=91]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377090570.885574.jpg[/attachment]

I believe it is possible, and a security and admin nightmare. I think permission has to be gained from Region, and has to be manned at all times by a staff member, so can’t let a cadet “look after it”. Best to speak to your wing shooting officer.

Failing that I know of some station armourers that will come out to local events and bring some toys to show. Will need a lot of pre-planning and notice of course.

Get station armourers to do it (and why not try and engage the AFCO lot too) and get them to sort the admin out!!

Saw it done many moons ago, for the visit of a minor royal iirc. Armoury insisted the firing pin was dropped out of the rifle. Hilariously, the jobsworth moron of a civvy armourer insisted that he had to do that himself, on the grounds that cadet staff “weren’t trained” to strip the L98A1 bolt carrier. Gawd knows where he got that idea from.

[quote=“Mike Bravo” post=10350]In the past I have noticed that military units will often rock up at an event and have some form of hardware on show at their recruiting stand. Rifle on a chain for little tommy to hold and have his photo taken with etc.

Just wondering if this has ever been allowed by a cadet unit, or is it strictly verboten? Having an L98A2 or L103A2 at the local fete would certainly generate some interest … and probably some security nightmares.
[/quote]

We do it with L103A2s.

[quote=“talon” post=10509]
We do it with L103A2s.[/quote]

what if anything is required to have this “on display” in public in terms of permissions (local police etc) and paperwork

i assume that the minimum required from the qualifications view point is a WI/SAAI?

[quote=“steve679” post=10512][quote=“talon” post=10509]
We do it with L103A2s.[/quote]

what if anything is required to have this “on display” in public in terms of permissions (local police etc) and paperwork
[/quote]

I haven’t actually organised it myself, but I would think that you would need the permission of the event organiser and notify the police of your presence with rifles. Other than that just a regular training request + risk assessment with some added bit about security of the weapons.

[quote]
i assume that the minimum required from the qualifications view point is a WI/SAAI?[/quote]

Only if you intend on doing any weapon handling lessons. The most important qualification is that there is someone there who is SC cleared and can be responsible for the weapons.

Of course I am ACF so the rules may be different!

my assumption on the WI/SAAI was simply to ensure someone was competant and knowledgeable with the weapon to a greater standard than simply having passed a WHT.

i wouldnt want to be offering any training to the general public but i can well imagine stripping the weapon or answering performance questions may well be request/questions posed by the public which a WI/SAAI would be better placed to deal with

seems simple enough with regard to gaining permission in that case, thank you on its way!

[quote=“talon” post=10515]The most important qualification is that there is someone there who is SC cleared and can be responsible for the weapons.[/quote]That would be practically nobody in the ATC then :smiley: