Restriction on karma updates

[attachment=31]karma.JPG[/attachment]

Is the ‘one person per six hours’ restriction to updating karma set into the forum, or can it be turned off?

If I read two ‘positive karma worthy’ posts within the 6 hour period, the second person misses out simply by virtue of being the latter post.

I’m just curious more than anything. I don’t think any of us actually take karma that seriously do we? :stuck_out_tongue:

karma is quite a good guide, I feel, as to the ‘value-added’ given by the post contents.

So not too serious, but a good tool never the less.

The restriction is to stop people adding millions of karma points, either way, at the same time.

Is 6 hours too long though?

I’ll look through the settings and see if I can reduce the timescale.

Cheers

As long as it’s not 5 minutes, but perhaps a few hours.

Yeah, I can appreciate that.

Perhaphs a few hours (or whatever were deemed appropriate) per individual might be better? Rather than only one adjustment at all in the time.

That would stop me from winding up duty_pongo for example by giving him -100 karma in one go, but would still allow me to give karma points to a number of different users if I felt appropriate.
If you see what I mean.

There have been a couple of occasions where I’ve thought “that’s a good post! I’ll give you karma…oh, I can’t because I gave someone else karma an hour ago”.

I’ll look at reducing the time - there is always the ‘Thank you’ button though :slight_smile:

Yeah, I use that too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening! That earns you a karma poi…ah :wink:

Yeah, I can appreciate that.

Perhaphs a few hours (or whatever were deemed appropriate) per individual might be better? Rather than only one adjustment at all in the time.

That would stop me from winding up duty_pongo for example by giving him -100 karma in one go, but would still allow me to give karma points to a number of different users if I felt appropriate.
If you see what I mean.

There have been a couple of occasions where I’ve thought “that’s a good post! I’ll give you karma…oh, I can’t because I gave someone else karma an hour ago”.[/quote]

OI!!! :mad: so its you who keeps reducing it! and after i give you good karma :lol: especially as you agree with most things i say!

No, it’s not me mate. I’ve been ranking you back up.

Karma doesn’t mean anything really especially as it’s open to abuse, despite whatever timescale is operated.

I would suggest its got rid of as it serves no useful purpose.

Would there be a way to restrict giving the same person a repeated karma update? This would stop the issue of ABUSE of karma maybe?

[quote=“Gunner” post=4315]I would suggest its got rid of as it serves no useful purpose.[/quote]Agreed. Karma added :slight_smile:

I actually quite like Karma, if used fairly. The only problem is where one person (or a group of people) pick on 1 member over a period of time. I’d guess that’s why a few members have extremely bad karma, but then my guess is that someone else has been given a correspondingly bad karma back… :wink: That’s karma surely??

maybe we should just reset it every so often, and maybe people will then learn to play fairly?

karma resets!

how on earth do I do that???

:stuck_out_tongue: