Restoring PLCE webbing

We’ve finally bitten the bullet and started to replace our Sqn '58 Pattern webbing with PLCE sets.

However some of the DPM pouches we’ve acquired have been cared for rather too enthusiastically by previous owners, to the extent that there are almost white edges on some.

Is there any way - short of mud - to tone them down or make them look like woodland rather than arctic camo?

Paint.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/army-paint-olive-drab-product,16266

Something like this.

Ooh, do they do it in MTP too? Then I could respray the whole lot.

Seriously though, thank you, that could be just the ticket.

I don’t think they do MTP paint… but if you get the right shades you can do it.
It’s just a touch up, not a total respray.

Olive green or brown should be more than enough.

Ha, yes I was sent to the stores for DPM paint many moons ago :slightly_smiling_face:

Olive green it is.

1 Like

As a new cadet I was sent to stores for a long stand, I was there for ages and never got anything, even though the store man insisted I’d had it already. I was just stood there for a long…hang on…oh right.

A long weight to tie down the glider is better…

I remember being told the wind was blowing the wrong way at my civvy gliding club. They asked me to run and turn the windsock round to get it the right way. I got half way down the runway before I twigged

Won’t someone please think of the topic?

1 Like

Could I suggest you look at the Viper Vest instead? We took part in an inter-cadet shoot and webbing is no longer allowed. Our cadets had a hell of a time adapting to the Viper Vest during the competition.

Have you tried rubbing a bit of cam cream in to it?

I thought it was written in the pam to use webbing for shooting?

How is webbing different to the viper vests?!

Didnt the ACF get a load made up as “the cadet” vest about 5-8 years ago? Nice, cheap and “better suited to cadet use” than Osprey etc when plce started to decline in its use. Guessing they then rewrote a PAM around it??

Great idea, will try it

Yes, they were issued to CCFs too. Advantage: cadets can’t lose bits; no temptation to customise your own set; standard layout so easy to take a random set off the pile; velcro means ammo pouches easy to close after the Load/Unload. Disadvantage: they bought DPM just before MTP came in; velcro on pouches ruins any kind of night attack. My SSI likes them except for the velcro.

We were given the use of the local ACF’s “cadet vests” for an IWT course once.
They were bloody awful!
You think that getting mags in and out of webbing pouches is fiddly? This was another level.
The mag pouches were too small. It reminded me of the “old days” trying to get your water bottle into or out of a wet '58 water bottle pouch.

We ditched them by lunch time and someone kindly brought up a load of PLCE webbing.

Was this an “official” inter-cadet shoot? Like CISSAM? Or was it a local shoot?
I find it ridiculous that someone should insist that webbing - which was specifically designed for the task - shouldn’t be allowed.

1 Like

Velcro on ammo pouches doesn’t matter. Because there’s a lot of other noise and flashy things going about.
Ammo pouches are the only ones that should have the secondary Velcro feature or be plain Velcro.

Was this the same assault vests that were issued? I had a vest that did me proud through various environments. But the ammo pouches were god awful.
I ended up cutting the pouches off and plastic tying a set of PLCE webbing pouches to it instead. Worked wonders.

My bold

1 Like

I believe they are talking about the ‘Cadet Assault Vest’. Strapline: “Designed by cadets, for cadets!”

1 Like