Reserve Day (Uniform to work)

A Walt is someone who pretends to be something they’re not. I am wearing the uniform of an RAFAC officer, which I am. My rank slides clearly state my organisation and my uniform is in line with AP1358C, so by definition, it isn’t walting.

I really don’t get this walting attitude. My work is part of the armed forces covenant and provides as much support to me as a CFAV as they do the regulars/reserves I work with. I’m welcome to the armed forces network in the same way asthe rest of the reserves/regulars, treated no differently and they’re always asking questions about what I do.

I’m proud of what we do and when people ask, I make sure I’m clear that I’m an officer in the Royal Air Force Air Cadets - as if my rank slides don’t make that clear enough (annoyingly).

6 Likes

Exactly so wearing the uniform in this specific circumstance when all the media, social or otherwise, output will be about reserves wearing their uniforms so for me would not feel right. It would be like I was wanting to be identified as, pretending to be if you prefer that term, a member of the reserve forces which I am no longer.

There are many occasions where its fine and like I said something during Volunteer week would have maybe been appropriate so I think this is one we will have to agree to disagree on.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t wear my uniform to work.

60% of the workforce are ex-RAF.

Two of us are CFAVs, and a handful are ex cadets.

So wearing it would be pointless to highlight the work of the RAF and reserves… Especially as the civvy company I’m with… Works on an RAF station…

1 Like

Is it tomorrow or Thursday?

I’m work from hike both days, but have a course Thursday PM with others from across the European part of the holding company

Just unleashed the Google-fairy, as I wasn’t sure myself.

23 June 21, tomorrow…

Nope, not sitting at home in my uniform, I’ll stick with my shorts and t shirt

2 Likes

That’s me every day… With the emergency smart jumper to hide my hey Arnold Tshirt just incase someone important rings

1 Like

I understand this sentiment, but we are part of the armed forces community and as long as someone isn’t pretending to be something they’re not, fine.

As I say, my work has made it clear they want regulars, reserves, CFAVs and other personnel to do it. I’m actually impressed the support I receive because of my CFAV status.

4 Likes

This is actually awesome and made me smile! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You only like hey Arnold because his head looks like an American football right?

2 Likes

Vintage nickelodeon pyjama set :joy:

1 Like

confused.com.

my feelings now would still be valid if we had VRT so not sure what position i have been put into.

the position i am in is as a “youth leader” and doesn’t matter which way it is cut, that doesn’t form part of the “Armed Forces” - yes we have a MOD90, but we do not “serve our country” there was no attestation, no oath to “serve and protect” - the Cadets make more of promise to serve with the use of the “Cadet Promise” than any CFAV

[going off topic] regardless if the CFC is a “lesser” commission it my status as a member of the Armed Forces is no less in real terms

you mean like CIs?

agreed and seconded - but we have little to as (to turn your phrase) "we have just as much any other member of the Armed Forces to be proud of"

answered perfectly by @Canoe_crazy

for me it is looking at “Armed forces day” / “Reserve Day” and dressing up as a “Youth Leader” claiming i have a right to be part of the day = walty

jumping on a bandwagon i am not entitled too

Your uniform, as is mine, is valid and proper to be worn, but i don’t feel it has a place to be worn on Armed Forces day as that is not who we are a CFAVs

it is like standing up to be counted on a NHS support event because i hold a First Aid Certificate

if work permit it in such a way they open to door then fine, crack on

For me i know i will be the only one on site and if can see the conversations going

Colleague: “why are you dressed like that”
Steve: “it is Armed Forces Day”
Colleague: “oh right - are you a reserve?”
Steve: “oh no - I am a leader with the Air Cadets”
Colleague: “oh right… :unamused:

i do not deny we are part of the Armed Forces Community, but i don’t feel, nor ever have done, like a Reservist and so to jump on the bandwagon as a “look at me - lets recognise the effort i do as a reservist” would be fraud and thus a little walty

3 Likes

Indeed.
We are NOT reserves.
That has been made abundantly clear by many on here before etc etc.

Cant have cake and eat it!

If there is a youth group uniform day… that would be the time.

2 Likes

I think the confusion for employers is that CFAVs and Reservists are bucketed together in the Armed Forces Covenant. So for example usually with pay your employer will not pay you fully when deployed and you claim it back through the MOD (or something like that). As a CFAV I get an extra weeks leave which if I want to taken they expect me to do the same process because that’s what the best practice of the covenant says despite CFAVs not getting paid.

Luckily I won that battle when speaking to the Rep at work.

In all honesty I was always a bit sceptical about having the cadets parade with the military for armed forces day.

It’s good to raise the profile but for recruiting new staff and highlighting what we as staff do we should be utilising the National volunteer week better and wear the uniform on the Wednesday of that week.

If you wear your uniform today your more than likely going to be identified as part of the forces, probably the immediate reaction from people would be not going to war not interested. if you wore it during the volunteer week some people may be more open to discussing the uniform with you.

1 Like

I was encouraged to wear my uniform to work once. They were very enthusiastic that I did so.

What I think made them reconsider their decision for future years was that I covered my desk in a cam net and was found underneath it, helmet on, face cammed and a mess tin of hot water on the boil.

I wasn’t asked to wear it again.

14 Likes

I assumed that’s what they were paying you for at the time.

3 Likes

Around our way if cadets of any sort didn’t do AFD there would be no uniform at all only a smattering of the 70+ ‘old boys & girls’ with their blazers, medals and berets, as the younger ones show no interest in attending. All of the local “TA” units have been gone for 10+ years and we are miles from any sort of meaningful military presence.

Have you heard of PTSD?

1 Like

Ditto, same for BoB, Trafalgar Day and Remembrance Day.

Hence the desire for the RAF obsession with the “light blue footprint” to be backed up with actual stuff from them.

1 Like