Remuneration

Or any form of employment really?

2 Likes

I’d assumed the difference is that I have a contract that says I am employed for 37 hrs a week and have a 3 month notice period, but I’m not the lawyer here :stuck_out_tongue:

No they aren’t. They are wages based on the number of hours you work. A salary is a fixed annual amount (subject to bonus/overtime arrangements). You generally end up doing more unpaid work in a salaried role.

2 Likes

ah ok, thanks :slight_smile: (I didn’t know there was a difference between “salary” and “wage”!)

My mate who packed cadets in said he got a P45. He was a bit bemused, when he opened it given the lengths they go to, to tell us we’re not employed. Given what it was he thought it a bit strange as he wasn’t changing job, got the sack or been made redundant from his job. He said he’s not got a letter or anything from Wing or anyone, thanking him for his years of selfless service to the cause. He said he wasn’t expecting one, but it would have been nice.

Recieving payment, even through PAYE, which requires a P45 doesn’t automatically make you an employee.

As to the lack of thank you letter that is something that the organisation is terrible at, either in service or at the end of service

4 Likes

Comes down to the general lack of decent HR across the board.

2 Likes

Which is mostly due to us being a volunteer organisation that isn’t volunteer focussed.

8 Likes

I know this is a can of worms being opened…
Why is VA taxed?
My wife takes great delight is asking me this question every time I open a “payslip”! :joy:

1 Like

I suppose it is treated as an allowance and you could offset wholly and necessarily incurred expenses against it in the same way as an employee can with non reimbursed work expenses.

It’s probably only worthwhile doing the paperwork if someone had quite a lot of expenses and knew the relevant tax laws - we don’t get enough VA to cover accounts fees.

I think some per diem allowances (civil service?) aren’t taxed as income though even if not spent, but then they are only paid for business travel or working away from the home base. My memory is rusty on that.

Because it’s income

4 Likes

From a… job.
For all intent and purposes.

We have a fixed place of work.
We have tools provided.
We have uniform provided.
We have fixed responsibilities defined under ToRs.
We have rules to work to.
We get paid.

… it’s a job.

Seriously tempted to ask the question from my local employment lawyer.

We should be accruing pension and paid holidays.

Even on a dodgy zero hour contract of upto 28 days per year, we would accrue other benefits.

If HQAC want to play the game… so can we.

The only reason HQAC havebt done anything about this is that they know there would be a complete and final massive exodus.

We accept the bull poop because we get paid.

No pay.
No poop.

I certainly wont be spending my time, updating health and safety boards. Or opening up for repairs.

Get RFCA or god forbid the perms to do all that.

It’s a second job.

No one is saying it’s not a job. But not everybody working a job is an employee.

1 Like

Are we self employed…

Pretty sure we dont meet ir35 rules.

We sure as hell arent volunteers under any definition anymore.

Remember that we aren’t provided with all the tools/equipment we actually need, so you can claim the tax back on purchasing replacements (although not initial purchase).

Wait a damn second…I have a lot of expensive AT kit replacements…?

1 Like

As long as it’s expected to last less than 2 years, and will be used primarily for work (I think the wording is “no substantial personal use”) then you can claim the tax back, although PPE, oddly, is excluded (I don’t think it used to be…) My personal definition of “tools” relating to AT includes paddles, dry bags, compass, rucksacks, etc.

Can we claim Flat Rate Job Expenses as well… thats an extra £1022 on your allowance.

What about Uniform Allowance? (Laundry etc.)

I can certainly make it last less than 2 years :slightly_smiling_face:

Question is, is what you save in a year worth paying an accountant to maximise what you get?