Relevance of our Ambassadors and Honorary Appointees

No I haven’t. But then I’ve never been fired for punching someone, called anyone a racial slur or mocked the disabled but you’re both right, he’s a great influence for children.

Am I going insane here?

1 Like

Why is no one suggesting people like Tim Peake?

4 Likes

Major Tim Peake, off of the Army?

The very same. Why can’t he be an ambassador for us?

1 Like

Because the scouts beat us to it a year ago

Again, I’m drawn to repeat my question from the first reply. Who is the ambassador for?

1 Like

Or Helen Sharman.

Seconded!
Too bad the RAF doesn’t have an astronaut brevet…

Why not a number covering a wide range of areas that the cadets and staff might actually know.
People will remember Peake, but Sharman is a bit too far back. If it means they are in the role for a couple of years only, to capitalise on their relevance fine. Then it’s for HQAC to make sure they use them for more than a glad hand and photo op.

What about the cultural and sexual diversity that people get excited about?
All of the options so far have been white and as far we are aware heterosexual, with the exception of Ennis-Hill, who has mixed parents.

Wasnt Diane-Louise Jordan our ambassador in the 90s???

There’s always the wiki list of candidates… https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RAF_Cadets

Maybe not. Jimmy Saville is on it. Not the ideal candidate… for two reasons. Neither involve forgetting to wear his pins one day!!!

1 Like

Personally I see our cadets as being our ambassadors to other kids, and I see our ambassadors as being our ambassadors to the rest of society - industry, the rest of the Youth Sector, and (big P) Politicians and HQAC as our ambassadors to the MOD.

I see CV as having been a great success - I’m genuinely impressed by how hard she works on our behalf and how much graft she puts in - Chris Hoy was less so, but given that he was the first and therefore a bit of an experiment, and that HQAC are a bit rubbish, I don’t hold that against either him or HQAC.

The real pity is that our Royal ambassador can’t be persuaded to get into to a uniform or a set of MTP’s - we’d be on every front page for a month…

4 Likes

There’ll be a political reason behind that.

And the second they’re in mtp it’ll be “oh look, they’re in the Army now”. We know different, but we don’t need the ambassador.

Off for a cold shower now

3 Likes

Have you seen what she looked like when first on TV?

I’m afraid so.

3 Likes

Carol ticks alot of boxes for an Ambassador

in no particular order

• She is a Celeb - brings in attention with might otherwise be overlooked (while not being so A-list) she is too busy doing her day job to be available

• She is an engineer - can and does speak on STEM topics with authority and knowledge rather than a fed a script

• (linked to her Engineering background) has contacts and made contacts in STEM industry to expand the Cadet experience

• She is a pilot, understands the joy of flying, the thrill of that first flight, appreciates the desire of Cadets to not only fly but to get a Pilot’s licence

• not only a pilot but a female pilot, pushes that angle really well in an industry lagging behind on an equal gender spread.

do the Cadets know who she is?
probably not as well or for the same reasons as the CFAVs do, but they know her and swarm to see her. She’s visited RIAT each year and every year the Cadets want to meet her, there is interest in meeting Carol.

could we have someone higher profile?
yes - but would we see them more? would they have the time to commit?

could we have someone more “youth” relevant?
arguably yes, but how long will they stay “current” as a celebrity to bring in that interest?
if for instance Dick and Dom were ambassadors - ok so they are probably a name 10 years to late to be current today, but what are they doing now?
which is my point. unless you’re talking about Ant&Dec or Devina McCall kids presenters fade away from “celebrity” any other relevant Celeb to our youth would be in music or acting industries, two industries where spare time on the weekends i doubt are frequently available.

google defines Ambassador as “a representative or promoter of a specified activity.”
i think she does that well and why former Top Gear presenters are NOT shortlisted - as a representative they are exactly that - we want someone who can wear RAF No1s be mistaken as a RAF Regular and represent the RAF and the RAFAC both when the uniform is worn and not.

the question posed “who is the Ambassador for” is a good one - considering the definition above i think it has to be everyone.
someone the Cadets can be engaged by and aspire to follow either as an engineer (STEM), a pilot and/or successful female in those industries.
someone the RAF Senior bods can “trust” to tow the line and not say anything controversial.

Carol does more than we realise behind the scenes.

4 Cadets are due to visit (or already have done) Lockhead Martin HQ in the USA to have a VIP tour of the F35 facility, this was set up thanks to Carol’s connections and influence.

Ok I admit benefitting 4 Cadets is a tiny proportion versus the full 30k+ population of Cadets, but there are other avenues she is following. Speaking to CAC it would seem Carol keeps her busy with various ideas, plans, suggestions because of who Carol meets and who wants to work with her.

I am speaking in defence of Carol, do I think she is perfect? No, but I am very impressed with what she does and achieves and question who else could bring the same rounded approach to the honourary role

9 Likes

4 cadets is 4 more than zero.It might be a small number but all power to her for getting that set up.

2 Likes

The question is why oh why are we relying on someone else to do something that our supposed well connected and experienced senior officers should be able to do?
I bet the suggestions etc that apparently CV is making to CAC are put straight into the “I hope this gets forgotten pile”.

Because CAC isn’t a celebrity?

Why should that make any difference? The collective in HQAC should be able to use their networks to achieve things like this. I really does beggar the question what do they actually bring to the ATC?

2 Likes

we all know that HQAC is pretty ropey and thats been discussed on many threads over the years.But surely if Vordermann has used her influence as it is to get these kids on a visit like that who cares who does it as long as it happens.Id bet the four cadets who go or have gone wont care who sorted it out.All they know is theyre going.