Relationship rules

Hi I’m 17M And in a quite new relationship with a 16M i turn 18 in a few months and he wont be 17 till a few months after and im wondering if i have to inform my staff about this relationship or if this relationship is completely unallowed and i should end it. Please i really need help. Just to add to this we do not go to the same SQN and our sqns are about an hour apart

Now what the policy says, and how this is actually treated, are two very different things. The policy around this is in ACP 4 if you want to look in more detail, but the bit that pertains to you is:

Inappropriate Relationships between 18+ Staff Cadets and Younger Cadets

1. Cadets who reach 18 years of age, although still cadets, are adults in the eyes of the law and are deemed to be in positions of trust over younger cadets (similar to members of staff). It is therefore particularly important that all cadets aged 18 or over (Staff Cadets) are aware of the implications of any potential for inappropriate relationships with younger cadets. A sexual relationship with a child under the age of 16 is a criminal offence and such a relationship is therefore forbidden. A sexual relationship between a Staff Cadet and a cadet of 16 or 17 years of age is a contravention of ACP1 and of the guidelines contained in this publication (Chapter 2, paragraphs 10-12) when a Staff Cadet is considered to be in a position of trust over the younger cadet and is therefore forbidden.

Relationships between Cadets

1. Relationships between cadets occur and the RAFAC has no wish to inhibit free association, especially if such relationships do not affect discipline nor impact on the efficiency or effectiveness of the sqn or where there are no other child protection issues. However, the following may be considered to be inappropriate during RAFAC activities:

close and exclusive emotional relationships involving public displays of affection or intimacy, including sexual relations when on RAFAC activities or premises, and, a relationship that involves, or gives the appearance of involving, partiality, preferential treatment or improper use of rank or appointment.

1. This guidance is not intended to inhibit friendships, camaraderie or teamwork (with no sexual connotation).

Sexual Offences Act 2003, Section 9, the Criminal Law (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 1995, Section 5 and the Sexual Offences (Northern Ireland) Order 2008, Article 16

As the person you are in a relationship with is over 16, there are no legal issues.

My view on this has simply been that as long as it is not seen on squadron, there is no problem.

Probably a good idea to. However, as said above, whilst on the unit you shouldn’t act any differently with them than you would any other cadet. So ‘they shouldn’t know’, if you know what I mean.

Already covered above. There’s no rule that explicitly says it’s not allowed. You just have to be sensible/professional.

If you think it might cause problems, you always have the option to transfer squadrons whilst you are 18/19. Might be good anyway!

(I should add that what I’ve said is only valid for a non-sexual relationship)

5 Likes

Me and him don’t actually go to the same sqn and we have no desire to be in a sexual relationship as I am asexual

Then it sounds like there should be absolutely no problem! Don’t worry about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.