Regional Allocation of National Camps

Does anyone know if there is discussion at HQRAFAC on the allocation of National Camps or does each decide which regions will attend without consideration of the bigger picture :

• D&C Camp 2022 : LASER, South West, Scotland & Northern Ireland Regions, and CCF(RAF).
  • National Air & Space Camp 2022 : LASER, South West, Scotland & Northern Ireland Regions, and CCF(RAF).

No look in for C&E for example.

Id imagine that this is as a result of NAC in a very limited way in 2021 - although it wasn’t residential and Drill Camp being stood down for the last two years. But we have now a situation where half the ATC has no look in for these super camps this year :frowning: Would it not have been better to split the regions across the two?

2 Likes

Thought this was the final year of this type of split Region camps :man_shrugging:t2:

Yep, we in North have been screwed over too.

As much as we were technically included in last year’s NAC, my Wing wasn’t allowed to send anyone as they had to be within 90 minutes travelling due to the lack of provided accommodation.

1 Like

The last time all these camps ran before covid, south west didn’t get any - so I feel your pain. Really difficult when cadets see things advertised on social media and constantly ask to go.
Hopefully this is the last year they’ll do the stupid rotation and just open everything to everyone, as it used to be!

3 Likes

The over-riding problem with these camps is that a number of cadets invariably are the only ones from their sqn and so don’t get that shared experience.
We have had 2 cadets get places; one aerospace and one drill and while they enjoyed it, when they came back they told the other cadets showed photos etc, but there wasn’t the same buzz as there was among the few that went on what now passes as a blue camp. I felt for them.

I run whole squadron Adventure Training camps for my cadets at least once a year. We do it for the experience, but also because it really bonds our cadets together and we find they have better attendance and stay longer after the camps.

We started doing this as a direct result of the reduction in camp places across our Wing and Region.

They are becoming an absolute nightmare to organise, but it’s worth it in the end. :slight_smile:

4 Likes