Regimental Ties. 2 Part Question

Yeah. Having knuckles that drag along the ground doesn’t make it easy to tie ties but I’m getter better at it.

I’ll soon be able to write my name, too.

3 Likes

But only in crayon!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If you were commissioned into the VR i.e . as an Officer with the ATC then you can wear the VR tie, but not the RAF ties. You could wear the ATC tie anyway. No sign of a RAFAC tie yet, just like the new commissioning scrolls!

1 Like

I have plenty of ties that I may wear for work reasons but I cannot think of a time where wearing a RAF VR tie would be required.
When would you expect to wear these ties??

While wearing grey polyester slacks and toying with ones Elizabeth Duke pinkie ring?

2 Likes

Any ATC event where you aren’t in uniform and a collar and tie is the dress of the day.

2 Likes

Too late. Some RAFAC WO’s have already gobbled them up.

The only time I tend to wear my tie of choice is exactly as you mention or on Remembrance Sunday when I parade with ex-Rock mates.

Thanks gents
I think I will leave getting a tie then I don’t really foresee me needing one.

for me the only time that it would be appropriate to wear the ATC/ACO/RAFAC tie would be when attending the funeral (where black was not asked for) of a member, or former member of the ACO.

even then, i rather doubt anyone would know what it was or ping the significance…

sqn presentation events perhaps?

for me its a solution going in search of a problem, its a bit ‘look at me, i’m in the club of having a tie that means something’ and smells a bit of desperation.

I believe we need a tie, a RAFAC one so those of us who are proud of our “club” who wish to wear can wear without people questioning our right to wear.
I have a couple of casual items (hat, hoody, polo shirt etc) with the Sqn Logo embroidered on it. Is that “desperate”?
Does anyone know who made (as in manufacturer, not the person/s who placed the order) the WO/SNCO tie?

2 Likes

rather than consider when we members of the RAFAC would wear a tie, consider why other “regiments” (for want of a better phrase) have a tie…

then perhaps the “when” answers itself

2 Likes

because its funny watching young officers spend large proportions of their salary buying all manner of tat off the internet in a frantic attempt to ingratiate themselves with people who can’t be bothered to learn their names until they become Captains?

i probably wore my Regimental tie a couple of times a year while serving (i also made a point of wearing Arrse boxer shorts on the same occasions, because a little rebellion is good for the soul…), few of those occasions would be applicable to CFAV.

for me however there is a much larger, much more important issue - that of a ‘private, discretionary’ purchace becoming rather less than discretionary, either implicitly through everyone else having them, or explicitly with some tedious bore telling staff that they ‘need’ to have this item in order to be dressed correctly at a particular event.

required private purchace - a stable belt, or a unit t-shirt/hoody for example - is almost acceptable when everyone having to shell out for this tat is being paid to be there at the same time. its however completely unacceptable for this stuff to become required, but not supplied, when the organisation/tedious bore mandating it doesn’t pay half the staff anything, and has no real understanding of the financial situation of the other half.

i take the view that its something the ACO should make a deliberate decision to move away from - being a CFAV is expensive enough with the effective requirements for a set of MTP/DPM, some AT gear, the random journies people don’t claim for, and the other 50 things that suck money out of staff.

2 Likes

fine - then watch them but that doesn’t require a debate about all those people who are not these “young officers” when we should be wearing them as it is these people who won’t buy them…might as well argue when would you use a nuclear warhead - you won’t so why own one?

unless of course the people here discussing it are the “young officers” you describe?

1 Like

Resend key, over…

I do love the way that the “you lot are Walts and Wannabes” have come to the fore here!

I have privately purchased a RAFVR tie and wear it on the odd occasion when I am in a suit for work. I am proud of my prematurely ended RAF VR service and my tie is a small way to show that pride. The vast majority of people who see the tie haven’t got a clue what the nice colourful stripey tie signifies, so wearing it is a personal thing!

I’m not sure if I would buy a new RAFAC tie, but that would be a personal choice. It should never be a mandatory purchase!!

Lots of CFAVs and Cadets don’t wear ties, except in uniform, so a bit of a risk of a loss for any company who makes them!!

1 Like

i don’t see it as ‘walty’ - after all, the Scouts have a tie, the RGS have a tie, even some of the lesser Universities have a tie - i do however see it as both uneccesary and unwelcome in the light of some of the other things going on within the ACO.

i see staff and cadets pressured, both implicitly and explicitly into buying unit/event t-shirts and hoodies, and i see a ‘keeping up with the Jones’s’ attitude blossoming with regards to Sqn dining in nights: evermore elaborate, and evermore expensive, and everless voluntary in the attendance of that Sqn’s staff.

no, more stuff that has to be forked out for, that has no impact on the ability to take part, that has more ‘control’ written all over it is to be avoided at all costs.

1 Like

I can understand the unnecessary comment, but why would you say it is unwelcome? Some people would say it would be very welcome, not that I’m one of them!! And it would be a personal thing to purchase and wear!

1 Like

Until the squeeze is put on such as it would be a ‘good idea’ to purchase an appropriate tie old boy.

unwelcome because the personal choice element is by no means guaranteed. lets say it becomes a fairly widespread ‘thing’, what kind of money would you put on in, say, 5 years, some tedious bore of an OC putting ‘CI’s and staff not in uniform are to wear collar and ATC tie to Wing Training Day/Rememberance Parade/bog-standard parade night’ in the Sqn culture?

just go through the threads - cadets asking if its true that Stable Belts are not really a personal choice, staff honking about being advised about having a set of Mess Dress or DJ. this stuff is just pandering to the village Napoleons and loons - it starts off as voluntary and ‘nice’, and ends up being not-at-all-voluntary.

2 Likes