Refresh your Old Squadron PCs!

Many of us have got old laptops or PCs on squadrons that are just lying around because they’ve become slow and don’t work very well.

A good alternative to Windows on these machine is a brand new operating system called Chrome OS Flex. If you’ve ever used a Chromebook you’ll be familiar with the interface, as it’s almost the same.

It runs extremely well on older machines and you can transform an almost unusable machine to something that is much faster.

You will need to setup a free Gmail account for it to work and the computer will need to be connected to the internet via WiFi or a wire.

It’s pretty easy to set up, and you can try it on a memory stick before installing it on your machine. If you know how to boot from a memory stick on your PC, you will be able to install this with no problems. It doesn’t work on all machines, but most should be ok.

Instructions are via the link below, but if you need support I’ll be happy to help. I have just installed on some computers the local ACF have been given and it works much better than Windows!

5 Likes

I can second this. I used a similar OS on a bunch of 20 MacBook airs from 2007 and it functioned like a brand new chrome book. Worked like magic.

1 Like