RAFAC Medical exclusions for cfavs

Hello all,
I know the RAF has a big list of medical reasons that preclude you from being able to join.

Does RAFAC have a similar list specifically for CFAVs
If so what are they.

Nope, nothing.

1 Like

Although there are no specific medical exclusions, Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s some wording in ACP20 about being ā€˜reasonably fitā€™. Canā€™t remember the exact wording.

1 Like

Assuming its on a case by case basis then. I wonder if theres anything that would be an automatic red line specifically in the mental disorder space or if no matter what they would look at reasonable adjustments.

1 Like

I think it would be up to the CoC to make a call on a persons suitability to supervise cadets and then also the individuals aspirations as far as access to weapons etc which at the moment is a big issue for those who present MH issues.

2 Likes

Considering the medical conditions that I know of that havenā€™t precluded existing members, itā€™s a pretty loose line.

I suspect (and feel itā€™s correct) that mental capacity is more important as long as someone is somewhat ambulatory and able to take minimum required actions in a medical situation, which doesnā€™t preclude many conditions but would need an assessment of severity of impairment.

That said, Iā€™ve not personally seen a CFAV permanently in a wheelchairā€¦

1 Like

CFAV on Gliding Schools need to be capable of the appropriate medical standard

1 Like

Excluding flying requirements, you want ACP20 PI201 Para 30 or PI301 Para 9 for Officer/NCO. Nothing for CI.

Wording is similar, taken here from PI301:

Medical Fitness

1. Medical Standards. There are no set criteria regarding medical standards for non-commissioned uniformed personnel and accordingly the declaration of a medical condition or physical disability is not an automatic barrier to uniformed service, however, personnel must be medically fit enough to complete and successfully pass the SSIC course, allowing for any reasonable adjustments.
2 Likes

Yup one on my OIC so definitely possible

2 Likes

Which is ridiculously high. Applying fast jet pilot standards is farcical.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, were they already in the wheelchair when they first joined the org?

Iā€™ve got epilepsy which developed in my 20s. I was already a CI at the time, but when my application for Officer went in, it got passed to the RAF Chief medical officer who agreed to service - but with a VERY long list of things I cannot do/be involved in - some of which RAFAC was happy enough for me to do as a CI (go figure).

I understand this continues on a case by case basis, but reasonable adjustments are far better understood and implemented.

2 Likes

I had a CI turned down for SNCO as he had a leg injury sustained while serving. Was told that because he couldnā€™t do the drill on SSIC he couldnā€™t go into uniform. I hoped to push this further and have it reviewed, however he resigned after 7 years as a CI. A complete loss to the org.

No clue but being in a wheelchair at ATF sets a precedent surely. Iā€™ll have a course photo somewhere but wouldnā€™t make it public as donā€™t want to dox anyone!

2 Likes

Seen SNCO who are wheel chair bound.

Itā€™s a shame theyā€™ve left now as it should never of precluded them just on the drill element. There are plenty of physically disabled individuals in uniform - unlikely theyā€™d be able to do the DI course but normal standard squadron elements and doing cranwell it shouldnā€™t.

Iā€™ve got a number of quite sever disabilities and all Iā€™ve needed to do was get Drs confirmation on the impact and what I can and canā€™t do (I canā€™t do shooting for example as it impacts vision) and get it on Bader.

If Iā€™m doing a course then ive got to be able to do the vast majority of it - but that is me knowing my limitations. Iā€™ve done ACLC but wouldnā€™t be able to do JLs as some of the core examples, Iā€™m picky on who I go on camp with as some people do believe that if you have a disability that impacts whether you can be duty staff overnight or not means you shouldnā€™t be in cadets - but that is specific to individuals on camp.

The great thing is with ASPIRE now existing there is a much easier way to get support when understanding how limitations and cadets can mix together most of the time.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve known a CI who was wheelchair bound in our Wing but no idea what they did on unit

Iā€™ve also known a VRT who was permanently on crutches (lower leg injury)

Which isnā€™t ā€œappropriateā€ because:

I know a CFAV who ended up walking away from the VGS altogether having been streamed for pilot but only after 18 months on unit and going through the motions of a medical was refused on something tiny. Rather than stick around knowing theyā€™ll be permanently grounded, left and returned to Sqn life. A shame all round particularly as the CFAV is female which VGS are always short onā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m going to ask the question even though I can guess the answerā€¦

Surely they donā€™t have to do a full RAF aircrew medical, just an unrestricted CAA Class 1 medical like in the real world?

Known one of these too.

Thereā€™s a couple of quite severe (not a medically trained opinion) cases around of epilepsy/seizures, although the one Iā€™m most aware of developed after joining.

Thereā€™s a fair few heart conditions floating around.

Sadly they do. Since when have the VGS been part of the real world?

1 Like