RAFAC Leadership Skill Foundation Sports Leaders programme 2023-24

IBN 19 - 2023 has just been released, and it actually looks pretty good!

TL;DR we are going to have a much more structured way for cadets to get qualified as Sports Leaders.

Sports is something I have always been dubious of WRT the ‘qualifications’ people are using to run various activities. This looks like a pretty decent way to consolidate and make sure things are being run properly!

1 Like

It’s a shame it focuses on just Cadets, would have been good to have some CFAV development in this area as well.

1 Like

Anyone know the duration/syllabus for those Courses? Don’t suppose they are a week, would be useful as a potential DofE residential and would bring real benefit to the unit.

2 Likes

So, just been looking into this a bit more. There is a lot more in-depth information in the new ACPEdTI. It states that the Level 3 is aimed at senior cadets and CFAV.

1 Like

I think it’s overall a really positive move, and I’d definitely consider completing the L3 award to complement my Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) qualification.

The only thing that concerns me is I can envisage this becoming mandatory to deliver activities that aren’t strictly sports. Road Marching, for example, has a strong focus on warm-ups, cool downs and stretching; I wonder if this qualification will become a qualifying condition for RMTL?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that either, there are lots of environments we use physical activity and there is a risk of injury from over exertion etc

This makes the DDH elements nervous without a proper qualification to back up what’s happening and provide a remit of a persons capability.

1 Like

And so Sports goes the way of shooting, fieldcraft, aviation and other benefits that we can no longer do as we don’t have the right qualifications, and we don’t have the qualifications as they aren’t running.

1 Like

Yes. Back in the day as a cadet we did everything on Sqn but also got to meet others on Camps and Field Days etc when we came together to compete

Now, after the 1st 18months of 1st Class and Blue Badge PTS we really struggle to find anything meaningful to do.
18 month average cadet life looks like it will soon become a maximum aspiration if we are not careful. Or we will only be able to recruit cadets with parents who have time/money to take them all over the Wg/Region to attend courses activities.

We could end up like the Cavalry of Youth Movements with a double barrelled name and a private income as pre requisites to joining

oh you mean like the CCF then :wink:

1 Like

To be fair vs. the ACF in my experience, the ATC is definitely the “middle class” Cadet force.

Local ACF is full of the kids who have been permanently excluded from mainstream school - which is great that the CFAVs are giving them something positive to do. Just curious there’s definitely a social class divide in my area.

2 Likes