RAFAC Contingency Planning for Brexit - effect on volunteers

As every government department along with businesses is meant to be planning for when the UK leaves the EU has there been any guidance, advice or even planning on the effects of Brexit on to Cadet Squadrons and the volunteers who run them.

Just to set the relevance of this topic, this is NOT about the benefits (or not) of Brexit, Opinion on how well (or not) the government is doing or what the best (or worse) deal would be for the UK. It is limited to the question of how will brexit effect the cadets and the volunteers and how do we minimise disruption to the squadrons.

The worse case is that with a lot of frustrations already in the organisation is that when Push comes to shove the change in circumstances will result in numerous adults calling it a day or activities being seriously curtailed for six to nine months.

Just thinking broadly main initial threats would be
-Reduce capacity from those volunteers who work the emergency services to volunteer.
-higher risk of redundancy to those
-Reduction in available cadet time for weekend events & parent support
-reduced recruitment of cadets and adults.
-Sqns not on service own land being at risked of moved on.
-Supply items such as ammunition, uniform and other materials not being available.
-Brexit being used as an excuse not to do or provide items as an easy out.

I appreciate that this is very much crystal ball time but there is often an assumption among the wider world that the “volunteers will continue regardless as they are not affected as they are not paid” forgetting the fact of the outside pressures

If we plan on how we are going to weather the storm (even if it is only discussion of ideas) then we are more likely to retain cadets and staff as they will be prepared (and hopefully more accepting of the chaos) rather than having it dropped on them as yet another issue where they are expected to deliver the impossible.

What are peoples thoughts?

Not much will change IMO.

I know that some people see an issue with the B word but until anything happens, then consider nothing will.

EU was/is a trading area that has little impact on most people’s daily lives (apart from every other news report being on the subject)

1 Like

All relevant points!

But sadly I strongly doubt any meaningful planning or war gaming has gone into the impact of brexit on cadet forces.
As much as we might not like it… We are a low low priority for the MOD.

Think it is just as likely that with chaos at home, riots and fuel “shortages” the fleet will be recalled the army on the streets and the RAF 24hr flying supplies in.

But then Eienstein was the only one who when placing his bet, wagered that the bomb wouldn’t go off.

Nothing leaps out - anything defence procurement related that happens within the EU can be done through NATO channels instead, and
the stuff that affects us on a daily basis (5.56mm and uniforms) is produced, respectively, in the UK and China.

The rest of it is just general economic trends and might effect one sqn and not one 10 minutes down the road - I’m not sure what planning HQAC could reasonably be expected to for something that will effect staff so randomly.

1 Like

I do not see how it could possibly effect a Sqn, 3% of my cadets are EU (but not UK) nationals but they ain’t going anywhere. Maybe geography might have an affect through but not where we live.

Totally agree, even where the percentage is much higher.

What will cause RAFAC problems through Brexit? Possible funding cuts across MOD is about the only thing.

Staff and cadets won’t disappear, poor management at squadron level will do that. Uniforms, etc, they will be bought from where ever the MOD agree a contract.

1 Like

If Brexit was going to affect the Air Training Corps HQAC wouldn’t do anything in advance, they’d then bring loads of admin out wanting it done the previous week.

The problems that might arise are with European camps and expeds. I was chatting to a dad whose son is involved in French exchange next year and they’ve been told already that plans may change and cost increase.

And Snip.

The OP set the parameters. Follow them. Please base your points, as best you can, on objective evidence as to what the actual impacts (if any) of Brexit will be.

This thread will be closely moderated.

What Information are you using to suggest these points?
Why would emergency services be affected more? They will still work the same shift patterns and have the same time off in April 2019 as the did in April 2018. There may be some extra protests, mainly in London, but that will be dealt with by the Feds and not affect too many people in the other Emergency Services.
Why would Brexit cause redundancies in the Emergency Services? Police Officers cannot be made redundant as they are Warranted Officers not employees. There is not enough Ambulance staff currently!!
Why would it make Cadets or their parents reduce their time? Or recruitment levels??
Why would non Service land Cadet Squadrons be moves off their land? Do you think all contracts will be revoked?
I am amazed that you think it will be Armageddon after March 2019. Have you been reading the London Evening Standard or Lib Dem propaganda too much?
Remember the Millennium Bug?? Britain will carry on regardless, some things may be a bit more expensive and may take longer to get to the shops. We survived a U boat blockage twice in the 20th Century, we will be able to sort out some customs issues in the 21st Century!
We will be leaving a trading bloc, not going to war!!
But remember, the establishment don’t want Brexit to happen. Watch for the can to be kicked down the road at the beginning of March, with the status quo remaining in place until the country votes again and again until we get it right!!

2 Likes

Quite right, the establishment are certainly dead set against it…

DifrQJ2UwAAvwbv

1 Like

I suspect that chaos is as likely to ensue from Brext as it was from the much lauded ‘millennium bug’ a few years ago.

WHY will emergency workers be less able to participate?

Why will the mod run out of bullets?

I suspect the sun will still rise. And we’ll all shrug, think to ourselves ‘oh, that was a bit of an anticlimax’ and get on with our lives.

2 Likes