RAFAC/CCF (RAF) Rank Abbreviation Glossary

Unfortunately that isn’t a thing, the only people I know of to commission at Uni are Dr’s/Dentists

Sorry in the RAF CWO would be Commissioned WO they do the CWOC (knives and forks course as they call it) and commission as Flt Lt

1 Like

Interesting - So there is no longer a concept of Acting Pilot Officer on UAS any longer? Previously those in reciept of bursaries were awarded their commission whilst at uni and attended UAS in that rank. If the commission is now no longer awarded until completion of MIOT, and at the lowest rank of Pilot Officer, then is it the case that those on the University Air Squadron Bursary Scheme are Officer Cadets on UAS now?

That begs the question therefore, who does use Acting Pilot Officer rank other than RAFAC?

1 Like

That’s a complete oxymoron… one commissioned you’re no longer a Warrant Officer :wink:

Interesting point, even engineers on DTUS have their seniority start from the day of graduation. In the Regulars A/PO stopped being a thing 10+ years ago (!?) whenever the date was the MOD scrapped the Grad/Post Grad/Non Grad seniority. I think it’s only RAFAC that have acting Plt Off now.

Not that I’m bitter but I was in the first cohort where you graduated as a Plt Off even with a masters, if I’d have not dithered at Uni and joined 6 months earlier I’d have got Fg Off :frowning: ha

It does seem it but they do enjoy the distinction still :joy:

This from the University of London Air Sqn site

Blockquote Members are considered part of the RAF Volunteer Reserve and most students hold the rank of Officer Cadet, which has the status and privileges of an Officer. Some may obtain commissions in the RAF Volunteer Reserve, in the rank of Acting Pilot Officer. Medicine and Dentistry students, on obtaining a Cadetship, are commissioned into the RAF in the rank of Pilot Officer.

1 Like

I think it’s that the course they complete is the Commissioning Warrant Officer Course, recently completed by the previous 22 Gp WO who is now Flt Lt Cotman

I pity any poor soul coming to this thread with little knowledge and trying to use it to unpick our structures!
:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

How and when does someone become an Officer Cadet, because I’ve personally never seen one in my 7/8 years of Cadets, and being a FS Staff Cadet, filling out the paperwork to become Plt Off, where would it fit in?

Officer cadet only exists in the RAF proper, the UAS and (I think) among the VRT AEF officers. It’s been replaced with APO for the Cadet Forces Commission.

1 Like

Ahhh, that makes sense, thanks for the heads up!

Very late but Service Instructors can be from any of the three armed forces.

1 Like

Like the Army’s LEC - Late Entry Comission - WO1s comission as Captains