RAFAC 80th Anniversary

In typical air cadet fashion.
We would make them wear uniform.
The coaches would be late.
There would then be a first parade which would last 6 hours, 5:30 of that setting it up.
30 mins in the park
final parade and straight on to the bus for the journey home.

9 Likes

I can see the ā€˜Sunā€™ headlines now ā€œ40,000 cadets go down with Covid after CoC organise event to celebrate birthdayā€

1 Like

Why I said earlier this is the ATC 80th anniversary. The CCF donā€™t get to 75 until 2023

I did sort of mean in the futureā€¦ lol

i have no idea what you get up to, but in terms of ATC specific parades mine have ONLY been for anniversaries and so typically 5 yearly
(although i know one Squadron who parade down the road from their Sqn building to the local church every ATC Sunday which i find a pointless event)

We have Wing Parades every year,.

1 Like

Why are the CCF(RAF) getting banners for the ATC anniversary? Bit oddā€¦

1 Like

Because HQAC still doesnā€™t know the difference between RAFAC, ATC and CCF(RAF).

Itā€™s ATC 80. If we want to use RAFAC then we should be using one of:

1). ADCC formation as the first Air Cadet formation.
2). 1948 for the formation of the CCF(RAF) and the first time there were more than one air cadet formation
3) 2016/17 when the rebrand to RAFAC happened.

To call this the RAFAC 80 is insulting to the history of the ATC

4 Likes

Dont think that many people care that much if honest.

I know one of the main things I have from my time as a cadet is a 50th Anniversary wing blue, the 60th passed me by completely my first time round as staff. I can understand the 75th and also RAF100 fuss but think we donā€™t need to make a big thing about any until ATC100.

2 Likes

People donā€™t understand the difference between the RAFAC, ATC and CCF(RAF). Thereā€™s still people who keep referring to us as the ACO!

1 Like

Thereā€™s still hqac/rhq staff that use aco and itā€™s one of my GMGs :man_shrugging::man_facepalming::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Air Scouts 80th anniversary

Some interesting articles from 1941 about the formation of the Air Scouts and the Air Training Corps.

2 Likes

How interesting!

If the joining age remained at 16, what would the Corps look like now?

Apparently creative writing is a thing in the RAF now, so letā€™s see your bestā€¦ :laughing:

When the ADCC formed and the Air Ministry took it under its wing in 1941 and it became the Air Training Corps, it had a very specific purpose; preparing / training boys/young men for military service. So 16 was probably a good age to start giving a year or two training prior to enlisting.
The majority of ā€˜boysā€™ of 16 in that era were ā€˜menā€™ earning a wage and would have been at work for at least a year if not 2. One of my uncles joined the ADCC in 1938 when heā€™d already been an apprentice draughtsman for 2 years since he left school at 15, but he wanted to join the RAF, My dad started work as an apprentice engineer when he was just over 14. How ever being in uniform and looking to military service in a war was the thing to do.
In many ways the ADCC/ATC had a focus that probably lasted until the end of National Service. Do we have a focus now? One of the problems is some still us as preparing youngsters for military service, when we have a military that is tiny and very, very selective compared to when the ADCC and ATC formed.

Happy 80th to the ATC. No organisation Iā€™d rather be part of!

8 Likes

Here here. Iā€™ll be raising a glass tonight!

3 years as a cadet, and 5 back as staff - so pleased to have been about for 10% of it. Letā€™s hope for a strong post-Covid future!

2 Likes

The greatest gift is that ā€˜you know whoā€™ didnā€™t publish another hideous, cyan, MS Paint, birthday message like last yearā€™s monstrosity.

3 Likes

Nearly 24 years in the organisationā€¦

Damn I feel old.

Iā€™m at 20 next year!