RAF warma medal

Hi all ,I’m going to my bronze road marching in a week at raf Cosford. It says we will get a medal . I was wondering if I could where it in my uniform and where to put it

You can’t wear it on your uniform, it’s just a nice thing to keep after.

6 Likes

As mentioned by Bob1 - you can’t wear the medal/s from Cosford with your uniform - but, provided they’ve got them in stock, you might be able to buy a Cosford Ribbon that you could put on your pack. These ribbons as well as the waterproof RAFWARMA song book are usually available to purchase at Cosford.

The song books are only about £8 each and can only be (easily) bought at either Cosford or Nijmegen.

If you are enjoying RM, you could make a display of your medals - many cadets and staff have impressive collections of mounted medals from various events.

You’ll have trained hard and given it a lot of effort, it’s right to be proud of your efforts and want to show it off. Good luck!

4 Likes

I remember the days when I was a cadet, where you were allowed to wear the Nijmegen medal ribbon above the right breast pocket of your No.1 jacket (if you had one) or your battledress tunic. On Wing parades, you were allowed to wear the medal itself.

4 Likes

Must’ve been a crazy time - especially certain CFAVs having to deal with being on parade with Cadets with a medal while they do not. :grin:

I did wear my medal immediately after completing Nijmegen and my photo ended up in the local newspaper - certain staff were not happy with that e.g. “Not in regs” “You’re representing the Corps in incorrect uniform” - I add these staff members had never done Nijmegen…

2 Likes

Don’t think it really matters… The HQ media team were posting pictures of cadets finishing Ten Tors with beret but no uniform. It might not be to the regs, but it’s good representation :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think cadets should be able to wear them - it show’s the big effort they have made

3 Likes

This is one of those AT events/ similar where there’s more accepted tradition than ‘the rules say this’ though

We’ve had dispensation from following the RAF rules on things like haircuts, I don’t see why the rules shouldn’t be changed further to allow cadets to wear their achievements too. There aren’t many ways to earn a medal as a cadet and the Road Marching events take serious effort and resilience.

1 Like

They already can?
They get a shiny silver road marching badge.

Not quite…they were lined up to adopt the same regs. We were just in place to pull the trigger first

A badge is not a medal.

1 Like

Again an oversight on RAFAC’s part of preventing cadets from taking pride and showing off their efforts - and more importantly, their success.

Personally, I think the medal would have been overkill, but the ribbon would have been a nice touch.

(It comes back to British Forces being prevented wearing medals issued / presented by other nations, if not mistaken)

The same rules apply to ribbons as to medals: it just depends on the circumstances which are worn (No. 1 SD in a non-ceremonial occasion: ribbons; ceremonial: medals).

Generally, that ban applies because there is a British medal for the same thing. E.g. UN / NATO / EU medals are permitted for wear regarding service in Cyprus, Former Yugoslavia, Libya, etc. but the NATO ISAF medal is not (as the British OSM for Afghanistan is awarded for the same operation).

1 Like

They can wear medals of other nations which are not authorised such as the ones for the UN, or by the Sovereign’s permission on a case by case basis. The one case I remember is Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly who was awarded an OBE by the British and by the Argentinians the Oficial Orden de Mayo. An amazing man who led an amazing team at Ajax Bay.

ETA:

His obituary is well worth a read.

Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly obituary | Royal Navy | The Guardian.

Apologies for thread drift.

1 Like

As much as I would love to wear my RM medals/ribbons on a parade, it’s a no. The only time Cadets(and CFAVs) are authorised to wear medals is on a RM, and even that has limitations!

I wore my Nijmegen and Apeldoorn medals plus some other jingly bits on the Airborne March in Arnhem many years ago and got disapproving looks from some CFAV’s.

As if I cared.

It won’t make much difference soon either way, I fear. The new Heat Illness Policy involving WGBT all but stops the majority of summer road marching activities.

Why would it be limited to RM and Adv trg, FC, DofE is effected by the new policy

all high RtL activities :wink:

1 Like