RAF St Mawgan Summer Camp

My RAF section has been allocated RAF St Mawgan as our Sumer camp. Just wondering if anyone has been on a camp here previously and what the camp might entail.

1 Like

The usual - section visits, trips, air cadet activities.

It’s not a flying station so probably fewer section visits than on some stations - but the squippers and armoury were good visits last year. Good little on-site training area for a bit of FT too.

Not sure if it still does as it’s been a few years, but it used to include a trip to Culdrose which meant there was at least some aviation. Our year that was cancelled but we visited HMS ALBION during a refit; a great visit (helped by the fact we had an ex-regular RN officer with us, now VRT) although it cost me a pair of no. 2 trousers as I leant casually on a recently painted white railing…

2 Likes

Surfing, Eden Project, Flying from an AEF Detachment (Not sure if they do that anymore though), sports and other regular camp stuff.

Accomodation was okay, bit strange as it was in the old US Navy Hospital (Block now called Sea King), messing was fab but lots of ACF on station. Enjoy

Yes, the AEF detachment is definitely happening. That’s no guarantee for a specific camp (not least because Cornish cadets hardly get to fly the rest of the year, so they will be given slots) but the aim is certainly there.

See if you can arrange to visit the HM Coastguard helicopter station on the airfield. A lot of the crew there are ex RN/RAF ASR. It is Bristows but the ACLO should have a contact, if not call them up.

The Defence Sere Training Organisation (DSTO) is also based there, so it might be worth contacting them for a visit. While most of it will be out of bounds, they could possibly do a presentation on what they deliver to the armed forces.

There is also the Aviation Museum just around the corner from the main entrance.

Also the Thrust Bloodhound team are in a Hangar on the civilian side. Its worth giving them a call and see if you can arrange a visit. I can’t see how it would be an issue as Thrust’s ‘Driver’ is Wg Cdr Andy Green. have a look at their website and they do offer tours.

Another vote for the aviation museum. They are very accommodating and encourage
visitors to go inside the aircraft. The VC10 Tanker and Canberra are my favourites. Staff can explain to the Cdts that the UK made planes once. I’ll get off my Cold War soapbox now.

1 Like

We did the DSTO armoury, which was definitely… interesting.

Also there’s the museum at Davidstow Moor within reach.

In Cornwall Bodmin is worth a visit, IIRC there was a deal for the steam train and Cornwall regimental museum in the town. There was a display of effects belonging to Harry Patch and the chap we met when we went was very accommodating wrt regt history. Probably one of the best regimental museums I’ve been to, as it wasn’t overrun.

Flambards for a joined up visit to Culdrose, they do or did an evening rate.

We get military discount at Flambards. Can’t remember how much it is though

We went last year. OC Engineering if still the same guy, was all for the Air Cadets getting around his sections and having a go with the kit. RAF Regt Flight had some laser guns that could be borrowed and were very good fun. The Air museum next door was pretty good also. The ACLO was the armourer and was on board and a big bonus was the WExO down at the local Wing was very helpful.
Cadets needed sleeping bags and pillows though.