RAF Spadeadam

Hi all,

I’ve got RAF Spadeadam as an Easter camp this year and I’ve not been there before.

What are people’s previous experiences like with accomodation and activities available for cadets?

Thanks,
Mike

a friend of mine went along (seperate Wing, so i’ve no Cadet experience to share) a few yrs ago who was not looking forward to it given the profile of the Station however said it was one of the most active camps they have attended, in part mainly due to nothing being on site so each day was a day trip out to somewhere, or being bused to something local

i have no personal experience however…

I haven’t been there for a camp but did visit during an Easter camp to RAF Boulmer last summer. I have no idea about the accommodation or food (every cadets main priority :P) but I know the base is very interesting. RAF Spadeadam is a low-flying training ground for aircraft such as the Tyhoon and Tornado to practise missile evasion and the likes. They have loads of working anti-aircraft weapons which fire off electronic signals simulating real missiles. They even have large plastic missiles which are launched for the aircraft to destroy. You’ll probably visit the control room where all the ‘weapons’ are managed and the radar monitored. There is also a static Russian Hind helicopter which you’ll probably get to visit and climb in. Another thing I know is that they have a lot of used London underground carriages which are used as targets for the aircraft misses and guns.

Hope this helps a bit :slight_smile:

Clement