RAF or RAFAC commission, that is the question

As someone who was in a similar situation (albeit I passed the fitness section too and spent several months in the sift before being rejected) I wouldn’t have thought that classed as a pass. If they had passed they would have been offered a job.

Ultimately for the regular board the fitness section is a key part of it and if you fail that you just haven’t passed the board and it wouldn’t carry over to a RAFAC board.

Failing a fitness test does not been you have lack of motivation or discipline and can’t be a officer. They may have gained any injury. This thread was about failing a fitness test and could they be a RAFAC officer not are they motivated or disciplined as an officer. So not sure what you are trying to say either. No need to reply.

If they had an injury they should have pulled themselves off OASC

1 Like

Still in big thread drift, but that’s not always possible.

I did OASC years ago, prior to entry. During the hangar exercises I pulled my back slightly reaching for a plank. The next day, I came one short of passing the sit ups - having passed everything else.

I was asked to go to my local station a week later to try again, passed, and went on to IOT.

It’s perfectly reasonable and understandable for these things to happen.

But anyway, major thread drift.

Oh the irony is burning!!

As mentioned above, it is likely that the person will be recorded as failing OASC. The only way you will truly know if they will allow them to count their recent successes in some areas is to get the question sent via the CoC to OASC.

Exact same thing happened to me except I had to go all the way back to Cranwell to redo the fitness test. Only a five hour drive…

Thanks for the advice, but I shall anyway.

Yes it absolutely does for both parts… The reason why he hasn’t been accepted to start officer training is specifically because he hasn’t got himself to the required physical standard. And failing a fitness test most certainly means you haven’t motivated yourself to train properly to smash those tests. Officer candidates shouldn’t look to just pass them, they should be leading the way.
If you are referring to him becoming an officer in the Air Cadets then I agree that he doesn’t need to pass a military fitness test, but that’s not what he was applying for. In my opinion I think that his lack of will to train for the final hurdle in his RAF officer application is unimpressive and unbecoming of an officer in any organisation. You mentioned in a different post that Air Cadet officers are fat and unfit - I assume you see this as a problem? Clearly you would prefer officers in the Air Cadets to have higher standards of fitness, appearance, and dare I say it…personal standards like self discipline, will power and determination? I think we’re on the same page! As for policy, I think even though he “passed with flying colours” he should still do it again, because I imagine the board will ask different questions since he will be applying for an entirely different thing.

Feel free to reply :+1:

1 Like

This doesn’t sound right to me; remember I could want to become an officer in the RAFAC aged 53, (they are desperate for staff) I am not going to start doing exercises to pass some test. We are talking about the RAFAC is NOT the RAF. Mr Foley you talk about this as if you are thinking of 20 year olds wanting to join.

I think that you still missed his point here - both types of officers should be fully prepared for their type of OASC, and failure to prepare properly for one doesn’t bode well for the other.

Being unfit and going to RAFAC OASC isn’t really an issue - but having failed the RAF OASC for being ill-prepared doesn’t reflect brilliantly on someone trying for either.

1 Like

I’ll say it again, I don’t personally have any issue with air cadet officers not doing fitness tests or maintaining a good level of fitness - they are volunteers and only need to be fit for whatever they are volunteering for (hill walking, sports coaching etc). My original point is purely that I personally would be slightly concerned by the candidates’ will power and personal standards when he has failed to adequately prepared for his RAF OASC. The fitness thing is a whole other debate!

Also the OP mentions that the candidate is 21 years old, so only a year older than you suggest :slight_smile: I’ll say again that I don’t think anyone joining the air cadets should have to do a fitness test.

be concerned by all means, but until you know why they failed, ie by how much and if it is due to the lack of preparation then it would be prudent to reserve judgement

If it’s close (like the example above) then they’re not going to have time to join RAFAC - this scenario I think requires a significant failure!

Totally agree. Still think he should have to do OASC again if he decides to go for air cadet officer though.

Being an old ■■■■■■ (not as old as Incubus) I had forgotten what was on the first part of the thread and wasn’t thinking of a 21 year old, whom should be able to push out a few burpees and make 13 on a bleep test or whatever the target is.

1 Like

Hey! When did I become the “old” benchmark?

1 Like

I think it was on your 80th birthday?

1 Like

I know someone still in uniform as a Squadron Leader who is 70, couldn’t pass a fitness test today or when they were originally commissioned at 22 either.