RAF Odiham Summer Camp

Some good news for those coming to Odiham this year… for the 1st time (as far as I know) you will NOT be in tents, you will be in transit blocks :cheer:

Good god…

Lavish!

Good news.

… subject to enough beds - Left Arm, Right Arm!

Hmm. CCF have not done the pre-camp visit yet but the Admin Order definitely says tents again. (And not just for CCF, before you start…)

I’ll know for sure in a week or so’s time.

I hope you’re right!

I’m CC in week 3, so if anyone on here is coming in week 4 do PM me… I know we are handing over to ATC.

Yes sadly tents - issue with the idea

That’s disappointing.

Was the plan originally to use 618VGS’s accommodation?

(an idea suggested by one of my cadets today)

If so, there wouldn’t have been enough and I guess they decided all or nothing.

no to the VGS - its the wrong side of the airfield, plan was to use transit accommodation, however not enough beds to cater for all weeks and some of it is under repair. Sorry :oops:

:? I’m coming for the first time this year. I’ve only been here 5 weeks!

Apologies for dragging this up. Potentially heading here in the early summer what’s the camp program like and any update accomodation

I was Camp Comdt for Odiham this year and it was very much still tented for all camps…

It will be tents for cdts & staff again I’m afraid- transit blocks heavily used

My experience of Odiham was that it was one of the the best Camps I have been on, on possibly the worst accomodation!
This was a couple of years ago now, and during the wettest August week on record at the time!

The station and staff are fantastic. Nothing you could ask seemed to be too much, they were happy to be flexible with the programme and to resource it for us. The night ex laid on was spot on, and the Helo transit back to camp even better.

The Tents were an issue, poorly pitched in some cases, thin to threadbare in others (First time I’ve seen a 12 by 12 let light through, no wonder it leaked!). We had generators for light and power, and some chemical toilets. Actual washing facilities are a good trek away.

The biggest bugbear is trying to live out of tents, in conditions that varied between dustbowl and mudbath, whilst maintaining an acceptable standard of blue uniform. If it was made an all greens camp, then the rest of the practicalities / privations of the accomodation would be much more manageable.

This is in no way meant as a criticism of those who make it possible. The ACO would definitely miss out without the opportunity to camp at Odiham. However it is a recognition of the practicalities.

Overall, I would happily go back.

MW

I fixed that by making it an all greens camp which was supported by the Stn entirely…I know that TMorris did blues the week before…surely it is up to the Camp Comdt to make that call?

Agree about the Stn, brilliant place for Cadets - small and easy to navigate and everyone was very helpful and enthusiastic. I just wish some of that attitutude would bleed into other Stns across the country.

The Stn won’t push you into “Blues” although the photo looks good… at the end of the day its your camp.

if you have any questions in advance? Feel free to PM and I will sort them - apart from no tents of course! :stuck_out_tongue:

How come you know where you are going ( even potentially) already? We won’t get to hear for at least 6 weeks and then it’ll be a mad dash to get returns in and wait 2 months plus to find out staff allocations, by which time most of those staff that hadn’t done so will book a holiday (as they’ve got bored waitng) and then frantic emails to get camps staffed.

How come you know where you are going ( even potentially) already? We won’t get to hear for at least 6 weeks and then it’ll be a mad dash to get returns in and wait 2 months plus to find out staff allocations, by which time most of those staff that hadn’t done so will book a holiday (as they’ve got bored waitng) and then frantic emails to get camps staffed.[/quote]

Sounds like half the problems you experience might be the fault of your SMT/WExO… we’re not in Corbin’s wing. But we know where we’re going next year too. With dates. And CampCom decisions have been made too!