RAF Marham

There are cadets on my squadron on their way to RAF Marham Annual Camp in 3 weeks time. They asked me what it would be like, I want to give them an honest answer!! Help please!

HR

It was great 2 years ago when we went

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went last year - good camp, although accommodation was rather spartan (tents, which didn’t even have lighting!).

Plenty of good visits including a good few which were actually hands-on and active, including the regiment (obstacle course and weapons demo) and the image analysis guys.

It’s still tents! (Picture taken from West Scotland Wing’s facebook page, there plenty more there…)

Is this tent thing a widespread occurrence? I certainly know what I would say if I was told we were in tents for annual camp!

Thankyou, it’s still a great opportunity for the cadets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“talon” post=19960]Is this tent thing a widespread occurrence? I certainly know what I would say if I was told we were in tents for annual camp![/quote]It has been fairly widespread but I think things are getting better now - Leeming and Lossiemouth were tented but now have permanent accommodation.

Doesn’t look too shabby! I’ve just found out that I’ve been roped in to help on this camp.

Just being curious, what are the “facilities” usually like on tented camps?

a long time ago now but when i was tented on the sports field at RAFC Cranwell we used the changing room facilities. the home and away sides the Male/female split.

as far as i am aware that is the normal set up for tented camps…from what i hear it is anyway.

Staff tend to get accommodated in their respective messes which is obviously more comfortable and convenient for the evening debriefs

Only convenient if all of the staff are in the same mess or if the officers decide to ignore everybody elses opinion at the debrief.

Unless “debrief” is slang for some kind of alcohol-fuelled debauchery :wink:

I did a camp at Marham as staff in 2003. I was in a tent too for the week.

Unless “debrief” is slang for some kind of alcohol-fuelled debauchery ;).[/quote]

alas i am foiled, you read me like a routemaster sized poster :frowning:

I spent last week at Marham. It is tented, some tents were rather leaky as we found out during some heavy rain. The ACLO team did their best to find some sheeeting to put over the worst tents. They do now have lighting which was a bonus.
The tents could however do with some sort of duckboard type flooring as when the heavens open the water gathers in the tent, a problem as the only place to store bags etc is under the beds.
Activities on the camp were good, we were fortunate to be there for families day, a really good airshow on the day.
All cadets and staff ate in the JRM, the catering staff seemed to like messing us about, despite phoning ahead we always had to wait on arrival to be allowed in.
Showers and toilets are in the YAC, as is the camp office and a room for kit prep.
The SWO was good enough to come and judge the drill competition and spent some time talking with the cadets, which they all appriciated.
Overall a good camp with plenty to do.