RAF Gibraltar

I’ve sent off my application to go to RAF Gibraltar this summer, so IF i get accepted, any ideas (or from previous experience) as to what i’d expect to be doing there? :?: :slight_smile:

Sunbathing I’d imagine!

It was a while ago but we had a day in Cadiz and a Spanish theme park.
A day on the beach, a visit into St Michaels cave( think I have the name right)
Had to plan a visit up to the top of the Rock ourselves as the ACLO did not consider it.
Managed a visit around a Navy ship in dock which was good and a trip out on a RIB owned by an RAF sailing club.
Quite a bit of sport at the Gibraltar Regiment base where the cadets were billeted.

Sounds great, really looking forward to it now…

Try and get a guided tour inside The Rock if you can, an amazing experience, not sure if the ‘hideway cell’ is now open to the public. Also, ideally you’ll be able to get out via La Linea to Europa Point, and on a clear day you’ll be able to see North Africa. Look out for the Casements, where they used to dispose of old cars over the cliff into the sea (many a rusting Vauxhalll Viva at the bottom of that scary drop).

Watch out for the original Rock Apes- they can actually be more dangerous than some former/serving members of the RAF Regiment. Unsure if you’ll get a chance nowadays to wear KDs, I think Cadets on camp don’t do that any more, which is a pity.

But an incredible special busy little place is Gib- my dad loved his time serving there, I found it was every bit as good as he described.

wilf_san

I went two as a Cadet, both excellent camps.

Visits to Air Traffic, Fire section and RAF Police, largely focusing on their major counter narcotic works down there. There was a morning spent with the EOD guys blowing stuff up, very good. A day spent doing confidence type stuff in the FIBUA at Europa Point, with L98 shooting concurrent. An organised tour round some of the military tunnels inside the Rock. A visit to St Michael’s Cave, and a cable car trip to the very top. At least one day in Spain at a water park by day and theme park in the evening, the second camp due to Bank Holidays we went to Spain twice, the second time with a day in Marbella and Puerto Benuss. Afternoon at the watersports centre and other afternoons at our leisure around Gib or on the Beach. Damn good camps the both. Evenings were very enjoyable as well, although not sure whether they are still of the nature I enjoyed any more!

Word of advice - don’t let the apes sit on your head…

[attachment=59]rockapes.jpg[/attachment]

Went last year and it is the BEST ATC camp I’ve done as a cadet or staff member. The ACLO there is fantastic, VERY pro cadet, and is also the official tour guide for the ‘non public’ parts of the rock. The tour of the rock he gave was fantastic, and the cadets loved it, so make sure that’s on the programme if poss. Other than that, good weather will make the week. Went to a water park in Spain, and the Selwo safari park. Casemates Square and St Michaels cave are a good day, but a lot of walking. With the cave - they were funny with letting cadets get in for free / reduced cost unless at least one of the members of staff was in uniform (regardless of us producing a 1250 / MOD 90)… means that one of you has to sweat it out up there, but still, worth it. Go on a dolphin tour too, there are a few available, and there were LOADS of dolphins. The kids had a great time.

My final piece of advice… WATCH THE APES! They are VERY cheeky, and will steal food from pockets, not just open bags etc. Don’t take carrier bags up there, for Gods sake.

Other than that, enjoy!

Runner