RAF Fylingdales / East Coast Accommodation

Anyone been recently? Are there any facilities we might be able to tap into?

Anyone know the score with accommodation / messes? Thinking mainly of CFAV training at the moment.

I went a few years ago and it’s like mega security land - way more than anywhere else I’ve been.

We were on an annual camp visit from Linton-on-Ouse and I only really remember visiting the actual control/reporting room and the fire section. I don’t think there’s a huge amount of accommodation there though.

1 Like

Similar experience, we saw the generator building, the control room, and that was about it, don’t recall there being a lot of other buildings there.

I did wonder whether that might be the case. Doesn’t seem to be any ACLO either.

Anyone aware of any other defence accommodation we might be able to tap into around there?

I’m aware of Strensall / Catterick and other DTE sites - they are all a bit too far really as they would be 1hr+ journey times to venues. Looking for something on the east coast around Whitby / Scarborough way.

Leeming could be an option, but you are looking at 1hr+ journey times again.

RAF though so might be easier to organise?

I grew up in that neck of the woods. You’ve listed everything already.

There might be an Army Reserve / TA as was camp nearby that could work?

I have stopped overnight at YHA Boggle Hole once, not quite service accommodation, but it was fairly decent and cheap as chips. Its inbetween Whitby and Scarborough so may be perfect for what you are looking for.

2 Likes

Ah lovely Fylingdales - can see it from my kitchen window

1 Like

Fancy popping round and asking if we can stay? :grin:

2 Likes

There’s a reasonable sized Army Reserve Centre in Scarborough - they may have accommodation.

Sounds like @A400m is offering their back garden as tented accommodation. They’ll even let you use the indoor ablutions and provide you with a full cooked breakfast.

11 Likes

The station is about an hour from our squadron. We visited for the day and it was brilliant.

Plenty to see - RADAR building and it’s various levels, e.g space monitoring, briefing room etc and we were able to talk to 90% of the staff there. We even got to see some training currently going on with a fake scenario but we were only allowed to stay for a certain part for security reasons. We visited the fire section and got a tour of the base.

Generally speaking a lot of it is secret and high security. The visit was quite easy to arrange and the ACLO (was a JNCO at the time) was incredibly helpful.

The base is within reasonable driving distance from RAF Leeming, RAF Topcliffe and RAF Boulmer. Also several Army stations.

1 Like

Do you have contact details please? They don’t seem to be on Sharepoint with the other ACLOs.

I’m not so interested in seeing the station - for my purposes I’d just like some hard accommodation in a mess/transit block.

1 Like

Is Leconfield too far away??

They used to have plenty of transit accommodation

There’s a YHA at Osmotherly on the other side of the Moor…

Imphal barracks at York - is that still there?

Not for much longer. Going the way of Linton.

1 Like

He said he wanted accomodation. Not a prison.

7 Likes

Yep, already stayed there for a few days years ago. No thanks.

I will have a scout of my emails and get back to via PM.

1 Like