RAF Form 3822

Not entirely true, have seen a video of a guy breaking into a security conference with an ID badge he made himself with a QR code that (if i remember correctly) led to Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You up, the name on the ID badge was also something along the lines of “baddie”. Obviously this can all be avoided via training and a properly thought out ID system.

I won’t argue that it’s not considerably easier for a “hostile state” to hack some cadets unprotected android phone, but it can be done - social hacking is real and people get paid to test a buildings security and often times it’s walk in with a high vis, a hard hat, and a ladder and nobody bats an eyelid.

Hopefully the app is as secure as the rest of the MODs systems.

This is what Commandant has to say about cadets who have families that can’t afford smartphones

I understand that some cadets are from families that cannot afford smart devices, but the same can be said of the affordability of subscriptions, combat uniform and clothing for DofE and adventurous training. That is why we have a charitable structure that holds funds at Wing, Region and National level to support the welfare needs of cadets most in need. With thought and effective communication these access issues are solvable.

I think he’s suggesting that CivComms will fund smartphones for those that don’t have one - has anyone seen the process yet for this? I have four cadets who will need a smartphone. I’ve had a chat with the Sqn committee but they have said as this says Wing, Region and National I’ll need to go upwards to ask.

One of the four without a smartphone isn’t down to cost though - the parents won’t allow them to have a smartphone at all; so don’t know how we can overcome that.

Cope without :man_shrugging:

Under 18s do not need ID to get on station, I can’t remember ever showing my 3822 as ID, we just sat on the bus and we’re driven on.

For AEF print the Aviation Report from SMS
For WHT the RCO can extract this from SMS pre event.

Surely if they can’t afford to assist it’s the Squadron CWC who should be going to the Wing CWC?

1 Like

In all probability this has been covered in the Equality Impact & Social Inclusion Assessment which would be a legal requirement for changes like this. Hopefully they will publish this & then it becomes easier for everyone to understand the rationale & answer the same questions.

1 Like

You realise most equality assessments, if they take place, are about three lines reluctantly written on the back of a fag packet after the tenth time the policy lawyers have nagged them about it. I would put good money on there not being anything that could be released here.

1 Like

That might be what happens. It was just a really quick chat where our chair said ‘doesn’t say squadrons, up to wing that!’

There was a conversation on Twitter about this yesterday, one sqn saying they’ve already sourced some phones, another OC saying that’s what they’d do;

Exactly this. I haven’t seen any reason yet to issue cadets with a mobile phone, just to use for a particular event. They can access Cadet Portal on a PC or tablet while on the Sqn, if they have no access elsewhere.

We’re not set up to provide permanent loans of mobile phones, manage their use, replace any losses and reset/prepare for re-issue.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity what do the Army & sea cadets do?

Do they have a ROS book & eventually an app or was it an ATC peculiarity.

Also 7527s - can we have an app for them too?

This 100%.

Those sqns need to be really careful. If they are doing it on a loan basis and therefore the sqn remaina the phones owner… imagine the poop storm when the phones come back with inappropriate images.

1 Like

Could I recommend something that Squadron’s can request printing from HQ RAFAC.

All good to print a Cadet CV but end of the day that is just some A4 paper - can look a bit tacky! It would be lovely if Squadrons could request (near Discharge) a printed professional booklet from HQ RAFAC in a similar vein to the 3822 that pulls the cadets data from SMS - maybe having to be checked and approved first by the Squadron OC to make sure all the data is correct.

It would certainly stop my sentimentality for the 3822, and would let us have a great memory piece to hand over to the Cadet at the end of there career. Being on request only it wouldn’t need to be something printed on every discharge - just for Cadets that have had a worthwhile enough time in Cadets.

2 Likes

Even deleted ones held in the image memory of the phone could cause all sorts of issues for a Sqn.

1 Like

I think he’s saying that could be an option, but considering a less costly solution should be available as a native function, not sure it’s necessary or preferred.

It is possible to get something cheap, it is also possible to lock down any apps that could pose a risk behind a pin (browser, store, camera, album, email, etc).

Don’t think I’d be completely comfortable even then though.

However, is it possible that that lack of smart phone - once a concealable situation - could breed a divide?

MOD90 is a next step.

Was thinking air cadet adult staff shooting quals -Mod90 will be whole service concept that would take time to deliver.

Smartphone based MOD90s are already being done, they’ve been trialled at a couple of stations.

1 Like

I wonder if it is on the list, regs record online. Maybe ours will link into units and have quals like the cadets’ does with the Portal.

1 Like

It was Rob Banks :joy: and the guy is Max Fosh

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: MyRAFAC - Cadet mobile app for iOS and Android