RAF Consingby Camp Accommodation

Hello All

I’m going on a summer camp to RAF Consingby and I’m wondering want the Accommodation situation is
I’ve heard its tents and I’ve heard some new accommodation blocks are being built so I’m wondering does any one know what the accommodation situation is ?

Same! I’d be interested to see what I’m staying in

The pre-camp report is on sharepoint and says it is planned to be in a barrack block. However this is dependent on the remaining Airmen moving to their completed new accommodation. Some haven’t moved as yet due to a lack of Wi-Fi.

First world problems or what.

First world problems or what.[/quote]
At Wyton when the SLAM blocks were complete, the juniors were just told to move, regardless of the wifi. To be fair, they couldn’t have been in much worse than some of the blocks at Brampton they were leaving!

1 Like

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There are places without wifi now?

So its planned to be in a accommodation block ?

at the end of the day (literally) does it matter?

tents, multiman rooms, single rooms, in a block out the block my time on camp accomodation have been for sleeping and getting changed, ie the bare minimum so providing its serviceable, and for the tiny price we pay, expectations don’t need to be high, I am happy with what i am given!

The type of accommodation can make the camp and whether the type matters or not depends on the weather.
If it rains then tents make for a miserable experience, I know if it’s hot tents aren’t brilliant but it is better. When I was cadet on a tented camp it rained almost constantly, so much so the duckboards were almost floating and the actual tents were completely sodden and this was pre everyone having greens, so it was blues all the time and coveralls around the campsite and for meals and as I recall we had two changes of bedding just to get some that was dryish. Another camp we had to rescue a couple of tents where the wind got them and nearly took them to the other side of the airfield.
Also if it is tents, then what facilities the station lays on for and location of ablutions and general rooms is crucial. On more than one occasion we’ve had cadet uniform in our rooms and in the utility rooms in the mess just to try and get it dry as what is available isn’t really up to the task.

I fully understand the pressure stations are under wrt accommodation, especially since SLAM became de rigeur, but you do wonder if one H block per staton could have been handed over to HQAC just for cadet purposes, which could have been used for annual camps and as a base for other camps/activities during the year outside the camp periods. This would also mean more cadets getting to a camp, as even a dozen to a wing (upstairs and downstairs) would mean 48 cadets and I’m pretty certain we had more than 12 in a room when I was a cadet.

Can anyone give me the exact dates in August for camp at Coningsby and also what time it finishes on the last day. Trying to sort family hols!

Depends what Wing are you ?