RAF Club under threat

I believe as part of my Wings ‘Expanding your Potential’ Course we were due to visit the RAF Club, course for the time being Covid put that plan astray.

I was quite looking forward to that

100% confirm we are eligible. It’s specifically mentioned in the FAQ CFC questions and I’ve recently became a member.

1 Like

Maybe when this is all over we should should arrange a meet up there?

2 Likes

Print off our profile pictures and wear them as masks to protect anonymity!

7 Likes

Is it still dirt cheap for new members too? I miss those days.

I’m not sure how much it used to be as I’ve only been commissioned just over a year, but it is reasonable.

Pay monthly, it’s dirt cheap.

You don’t have to stay, we use as a focal point when we visit London. We arrive early, grab a coffee, wander around town, then come back for a snack in the Running Horse, then home.

3 Likes

I got a e-mail of the club last week. £125 for twin/double room from now to Christmas. Deffo going up for a long weekend soon.

1 Like

£5 a year for first five years

3 Likes

Us minions wouldn’t be able to attend lol

I’m sure sensible chaps like yourself would be taken as a guest by one of us upper class hofficers.

2 Likes

And kept on a short lead…

I’ve been meaning to for a long time, but application for joining is in the post :+1:

Just had a look and not sure I can justify the cost for how many times I’m likely to use it.

1 Like

Return of ACC Fest… In style

4 Likes

I start a new job in October about 15 minutes walk away. Can see myself popping in at lunch regularly once I’m back in the office

The pub lunches in the Traven are brilliant! If I worked in London I’d definitely look to become a member. I’ve been as a guest in the past, and that Traven is lovely!

1 Like

I’m a member and have been for several years - it’s an oasis in the nastiness of London. It’s lovely just to sit in the library for a bit.

4 Likes

@redowling sounds a far too practical and sensible line for some.

If you work in London you can see it being justifiable but for a couple of times a year visits to the Big Smoke you’d have to make sure you went into that part of London and it’s not that good. If you lived in/around London would you really pay to stay in a hotel, when you can be in your own bed? The room rates are not competitive, given the travel infrastructure in London, means you can stay outside the centre and travel in and out and the outer ring is a much more interesting place, markets, pubs some of which have a good ‘music scene’, although going to sweaty pub to see a band, might not fit the officer profile. Speaking as someone who used to go to London regularly when I was much younger and less so over the ensuing years, as and when I’ve gone there latterly the West End / centre has lost something.

I shall have you know, Mr Teflon, that some of the best bands play in those Sweaty Pubs!

You would be hard pressed to find a Premier Inn etc charging less than £70 a night in the suburbs, plus night tube is dead and is likely to stay that way so your now talking about getting a night bus through London, not for the faint hearted.

£120 for a double room on Piccadilly is very competitive, the bar/restaurant prices for meals and the afternoon tea price are even more competitive.

5 Likes